• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch for 88XJ Limited

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and didn't find what I am looking for. Here's my question. If I was to install a front winch on my XJ, say the bumper and winch weigh around 150#, what (if any) modifications would I have to make to the otherwise good condiciton stock front suspension (springs, etc)?

As I write this, I am thinking of another, related question. Suppose I went with one of those receiver-mount winches so it could be mounted front or rear when needed. Is anyone aware of where I might find a front receiver (2") to fit? I haven't even searched for this as I just thought of it . . . 'seems like this might be the way for me to go simce I'm not really an "off-roader" in the usual sense . . . my XJ is my daily driver and hunting rig.

Thanks for your information and thoughts. Gee, I think this might be my first post to the Mod forum . . . . Don

Depending on the weight of the setup you install, you may need 1" or 2" poly spacers.

For example, a Bull Bar and M-8000 will usually need a 2" spacer to get back up to height.

Front and rear springs are about the same rate -- somewhere in the 200 pounds per inch range. That's per spring, so if you add 200 pounds to the nose, you drop it about half an inch. So 3/4" coil spacers would seem to be a reasonable adjustment.

Front receiver hitches are offered by Drawtite and Hidden Hitch. Name notwithstanding, the Drawtite tucks up out of the way better than the Hidden Hitch, but either will do the job, and prices are similar.

Back