• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no-slip locking right???

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my no-slip locker in my C8.25 installed today professionally and I know I need to "break it in" but every time I let off the gas it unlocks or sounds like it and then when I touch the gas it locks again...well atleast it sure sounds and feels like it. Is this normal??

complete with aloud bang? Yep that is par!

when your foot is on the gass and powe is applied it si locked. imsc....

J98cherokee said:
I just got my no-slip locker in my C8.25 installed today professionally and I know I need to "break it in" but every time I let off the gas it unlocks or sounds like it and then when I touch the gas it locks again...well atleast it sure sounds and feels like it. Is this normal??
What fluid are you using? I recommend 75-140 valvoline synthetic blend or full synthethic.

Kejtar said:
What fluid are you using? I recommend 75-140 valvoline synthetic blend or full synthethic.
x2, i use the blend

Lockers in general add more play to any axle. when floating between drive and coast, the no-slip is in what I call a soft lock. the crosspin is not contacting the ramps and only the springs are holding the locker "locked". when in drive, the crosspin applies force against the ramps thus forcing the inner drives into the side gears (for lack of not havintg the book in front of me). as you start a turn, the outside wheel begines to travel faster than the ring gear, this allows the inner hub to once again "float". as the outside wheel traels faster, the teeth between the side gear and inner drive are cut in such a way that when in float, they can come appart enough to "skip a tooth". in the case of the no-slip there is the active spacer that holds the teeth appart untill the ring gear catches up to the same speed as the outside wheel and re-engages the teeth. essentially, the no-slip is truely an automatic un-locker because its allways locked until it needs to unlock one wheel at a time. The biggest problem with it is that many folks mess up on the install and break a tooth on the active spacer from not having it properly lined up. I am guilty of this... once:)
give it some time. the no-slip does need to break in which will quiet it down a bit. youll get used to it and almost forget about it until it occasionally reminds you its there. sometimes its a loud bang that forces you to pull over and check your shorts. other times its just a little chunk. and other times its when your trying to get over a big ass boulder with 2 wheels in the air and your still going forward. I personally recomend the lighter 90wt (75-90, 80-90) type oils. but a good synth such as Royal Purple or Lucas or amsoils is a good investment.

why lighter?

What's so heavy duty in about our jeeps? do they tow for long distances? do they pull heavy loads? Things like fuel economy, rear wheel HP. I haven't had one rearend come back to me for having a gearset burn up or bearing burn up due to lubrication issues running 90wt. I have had one bearing go bad from exessive heat buildup on a newly rebuilt rearend. he took his jeep to the dunes a week after I built his axles. 100º+ days with no less than 1/2 throttle all day. voided the warranty needless to say.
call it personal preference, dislike of dealing with 140wt, belief that synth 90wt is better in a jeep than dino 140wt, even synth 140wt. call it personal experience, customer experience. its 1am... I'm going to bed...

somebody seems a bit touchy, just was curious

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like an Ahole... I was in a MR know it all mood last night... LOL.;) :lecture:

Rawbrown said:
Sorry, didn't mean to come off like an Ahole... I was in a MR know it all mood last night... LOL.;) :lecture:

Getting back to question at hand: let me ask the question that Ramsey did, but a little bit differently: any reason why 75/140 should not be used? I ran 75/140 blend in mine when I had the 8.25 and it was quiet. Also everyone that I know that has the no slip that runs 75/140 (with one exception) is happy with it and when they had the lighter oil it was way noisier.

i guess i'll forgive you. i've had the same experience kejtar and thats why i run the heavier oil.

Since you had the no-slip installed, you most likely didn't take a long look at it and the way it is designed...the cross-pin is a very loose fit between the halves of the locker....this allows a lot more slack in the rear drivetrain...you will get used to it...and be happy the first time you get over or across an obstacle you got stuck on with an open diff.

I have been running one in my heep for two years, and I flail the livin' crap out of it...no problems...

i see...well ive got to learn every bit about it some and I knew buying it wouldnt be a mistake, guess there were a few things i didnt knwo about it yet. im not sayin i dont like it or anything i like it alot and i havnt even been off road with it (which is a dissapointment). Cant wait to see what it can do. thx for the info

J98cherokee said:

I just put my no-slip locker in my C8.25 today and it pops and you can tell when it unloads for sure. The only time I know it is in is when I make turns accelerating. Other than that I cant even tell it is there.
I'm taking it out this weekend to ops check it. I'm anticipating a dramatic improvement.

Well i know now that my "locker" has given me worse then what i had before...1 wheel drive...period. The only tire spinning is my left rear tire no matter what. I think my right tire grabbed one time for a split second when the left was spinning but I couldnt even get up my wet driveway (which is a hill) without my left tire spinning. Also when im on the gas its pulling me to the right and then when i let off i go straight again.

well anyways im going to have to get it opened back up. ... upset....very upset.

Oh and another thing...in reverse...o thats a whole nother story, its a terrible grinding sound like its trying to engage and every tooth is hitting but slippin off.

Last edited:
you must have set it up wrong. make sure it is aligned correctly, and that nothing broke when it was put in wrong, also check all the springs and also make sure to use the spacer to check the width

J98cherokee said:

Well i know now that my "locker" has given me worse then what i had before...1 wheel drive...period. The only tire spinning is my left rear tire no matter what. I think my right tire grabbed one time for a split second when the left was spinning but I couldnt even get up my wet driveway (which is a hill) without my left tire spinning. Also when im on the gas its pulling me to the right and then when i let off i go straight again.

well anyways im going to have to get it opened back up. ... upset....very upset.

Yes ... I would not open it up ... I'd take it back to the professional who did your work just in case it was an installation problem.

Les

Back