• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd lift kits

ApacheMechanic

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any certain lift kits made only for 2wd? I see all these XJ kits but they don't specify 2 or 4wd..Does that mean they fit both? yes i'm a newbie:) Thanks for the help...oh..also..Any recommendations for the amount of lift I go with? Gonna be using my Iraq money :)

ApacheMechanic said:
Is there any certain lift kits made only for 2wd? I see all these XJ kits but they don't specify 2 or 4wd..Does that mean they fit both? yes i'm a newbie:) Thanks for the help...oh..also..Any recommendations for the amount of lift I go with? Gonna be using my Iraq money :)

yes they will fit both

one more question....each kit usually has two diff. options....Add a leaf or spring pack...what's the difference..and if I already have a saggy rear which would help more?

The nice thing about lifting a 2WD is that you can adjust the caster back to stock specs without screwing up the front axle pinion angle, thus (hopefully) avoiding death wobble.

Be sure to get an alignment after any lift. And don't forget that a lift will drag your front axle off center. You need an adjustable track bar, and the kits don't include that.

most "FULL KITS" include an adjustable Track bar

definetly get full packs. what are you gonna be doing with it, prerunning, mallcrawling? might want to look into some drop brackets so your ride doesnt suffer

Eagle said:
The nice thing about lifting a 2WD is that you can adjust the caster back to stock specs without screwing up the front axle pinion angle, thus (hopefully) avoiding death wobble.

Be sure to get an alignment after any lift. And don't forget that a lift will drag your front axle off center. You need an adjustable track bar, and the kits don't include that.

I think he means that you do not have a front axle pinion and do not have to worry about its angle. :) Also, if you have access to a welder you can weld the old track bar bolt hole and redrill it to recenter the axle, there are many write-ups with pics on this job.
There's only two reasons to lift a 2WD truck IMO, looks and high speed off roading, the first can be as cheap as you want and the latter needs top quality components, careful what you buy, some "quality" lift kits will still ride harsh.
Like 87CherokeeChief said get the full packs you'll get a smoother ride and longer life, if money is tight well its your time and money so... try the dakota spring packs from the junkyard (search the forums for how), you can always buy new packs later.
The main problem with 4WD kits is the good ones correct your front driveline angle with longer control arms, this may be an unnecesary expense for you. That being said longer control arms have less angle, less angle equals smoother ride, level being ideal. Lowering the frame mount for the LCA will get the angle back to zero degrees but eats ground clearance which you probably wont need much of considering what you can do with a 2WD.
Sorry for the long read, my best advice read, read and read as many posts as you can, people tend to forget certain details that you need.

ApacheMechanic said:
where can i find an adjustable trackbar? the kit from rusty's doesn't say it has one

Adjustable Trac-bar
you don't need one..

i redrilled my axle end trac bar mounting hole
- about 1/8" lower and 5/8" toward the drivers side
and at 5" over stock the axle was PERFECTLY centered but flex was limited (which you may not care being its 2wd & probly not into rock-crawlin)

now @ 7" i have a RE HD t-b and bracket, so kill the flame-throwers...
;)

ApacheMechanic said:
i'd say i'll be doing mostly mallcrawling :) maybe a few small mud "holes"

adding on a or modifying the Trac bar After the lift is the advice i give you, to see if you even want to bother..

at 3" of lift the axle is only off center about 3/8"

correcting that is as simple as Re-drilling the mounting hole 3/8" toward the driverside, then rebolting it, or dont worry about it...

i didn't redrill mine untill i swapped out the 3"lift coils for the 4.5"coils+3/4" spacers

ApacheMechanic said:
Gonna be using my Iraq money :)
If you mean money you earned while serving over in Iraq, I have to say Thank you! :us: I have a lot of respect for all the solders over there. Good luck with the lift, cherokees do look much better lifted.

Nice. I was out at Camp Sather on BIAP last year, and the 101st had some troops out there then. The ones I talked to were some cool guys. Biiiig unit. My Iraq money funded my longarms, gears, and Detroit. :D

As far as those folks ripping on 2wd XJ's abilities... Ive seen a few locked 2wd rigs get just as far and farther up the trail than open diffed 4wd rigs. After all, an open diffed 4wd rig only is essentially 2wd. As is a locked 2wd rig. ;) I know that I've run a few trails up here almost entirely in 2hi, just to save my front end (heeaaavy bias 35" claws on d30) while a few open diffed guys were sticking themselves every couple hundred feet.

Back