• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost fill plug on diff, loud noise.....

heeperman

NAXJA Forum User
Seems I somehow managed to loose my fill plig on my D35 (gee surprise it didn't take much for the rubber plug to pop) didn't notice till I was on the highway and had gone about 30 miles at 65 then suddenly it sounded like a big sping let go.............got her off the road, took me a few minuted to find all the gear gear oil all up the gate, then that my fill plug had disappeared, thankfully I had some lube with me, got er filled back up and and have yet to notice any strange noises, this all happened this morning on my way to work, and gonna tear into her as soon as the boss disappears, just been wondering what might be screwed up in there

Look [I[very carefully[/I] at all the gears - all six of them (I'm assuming you have an open differential.) It's really easy for them to get scarred if they get run dry.

As far as replacing the plug - it's either 3/8" NPT or 1/2" NPT pipe thread, and a regular pipe plug will do nicely. I prefer brass, since it won't rust, it won't sieze, and it seals well. I don't have any regular iron plugs in service anymore...

5-90

5-90 said:
As far as replacing the plug - it's either 3/8" NPT or 1/2" NPT pipe thread, and a regular pipe plug will do nicely.
Unless it's a later D35 that uses a rubber plug ... which it sounds like he has from the reference to "rubber plug" in his post.

Well just finished tearing her apart, I got a 95 D35C with a trac-lok, its looking better than I thought (and I got to take a work truck home!!) all is fine EXECPT load of play in the pinion, don't know as yet if I spun the outer or inner pinion bearing, pulled the carrier, disassemble it all looks good even the clutch pack for the traclok but like 1/2 lateral freeplay in the pinion has me kinda pissed. Anyone know how hard it is to change the pinion bearings??, more of an engine and body, dont tackle diffs unless its for a lunchbox locker...............

I'm going out on a limb here with this so bare with me. Is it possable that the noise you heard was the plug shooting off, and hitting the bottom of the Jeep. I was thinking that maby the vent hose some how got plugged, and the pressure from the heat of running at road RPM's poped it off.

pm me your address and ill send you my diff cover for the price of shipping...

complete with rubber plug

The plug was poped out by a small shrub, I had backed into, toured by there last night and sure enough there was the plug lying on the ground. I checked the vent line yesterday, its fine. Anyone know how much play in the yoke the pinion shaft should have?

heeperman said:
Anyone know how much play in the yoke the pinion shaft should have?
Why am I thinking zero?

The pinion bearings are preloaded to remove all slop. That's what the crush sleeve does.

Back