• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's on a 35

W

WilliesTJ

can i run 35" tyres on the dana 35 rear axle if i upgrade to the super 35 kit and truss the housing/tubes without too many problems?

Guess it all depends on how hard you wheel. Unfortunatly there are more design flaws than just the obvious strength issues. The bearings themselves are not designed to stand up to big tires. I think alot will agree that for the money spent on a Super 35 kit alone you can get a decent 8.8 or maybe even a D44.

Tim

NO!

NO, dont do it! mine blew up on the interstate and nearly killed me. That axle is NOT for 35's I'm now running an 8.8. much safer. dave

35,s

8.25? I wouldn't do that either. for what you would spend on that damn "super 35" kit. You could get a good start on an 8.8 or the infamous xj 44

I think the late model 8.25 would live a decent life with 35's and moderate throttle. The D44 or 8.8 would be a little better choices for various reasons, but the 8.25 is a pretty respecatble little dude. Just my opinion.........However, I don't think a locked up D35 and 35" tires are a good combo---take many spare parts and every tool you think you'll need. I think you'll be a D35 expert if you wheel a D35 for a year on 35" tires. {that said, I NEVER broke my D35 with 33" Swamps--tracklock, though}

even if you get the "super 35 kit" you still have really small gears and a piece of junk axle....i striped my pinion taking of from a stop sign with 3.55 gears.

Beezil said:
cost economy of runnign that size tire points to gettting a nice cheapy junkyard score.....

you can find a xj 44 if you look hard enough.
im living proof... cost me 85 bucks and a day at the junkyard. d44 with the same gear ratio as my truck.

Nothing wrong with an 8.25 either. I have been running one with a detroit on 35's for over a year. Towed a trailer to Moab that way, been to Johnson Valley that way, been all over Calico and BigBear. I drive it pretty hard too. Downfall is the 4.56 ratio limit...I would love some 5.38's with 35's.

BTW, I also have the Yukon shafts.

JohnX said:
Nothing wrong with an 8.25 either. I have been running one with a detroit on 35's for over a year. Towed a trailer to Moab that way, been to Johnson Valley that way, been all over Calico and BigBear. I drive it pretty hard too. Downfall is the 4.56 ratio limit...I would love some 5.38's with 35's.

BTW, I also have the Yukon shafts.
well the d30 caps out at 4.88 so you're not far off max without major surgery

Oizarod115 said:
well the d30 caps out at 4.88 so you're not far off max without major surgery

Well, i think he took care of that with the portals on his MJ (see sig):eeks1:

I run 31s on locked 31, 30k miley years, quite a lot offroadin, and all the bearing were eaten in a horrible way, twisted splines on shafts, but no breakage.

just my 0,02 CZC :)

Yes if your a mall crawler. Thank God for mall crawler. They hell keep the price of big tires and big lights down.
Ho yes, If you drive over a curb in the city it's considered rock crawling.

HOLY OLD POST BATMAN!!! this thread was brought back from 2003!!!
PAY ATTENTION TO DATES PEOPLE!!! FAWKIN A!

Rawbrown said:
HOLY OLD POST BATMAN!!! this thread was brought back from 2003!!!
PAY ATTENTION TO DATES PEOPLE!!! FAWKIN A!

No kidding, I wonder how many times he would have repaired the 35 by now! He isn't even a user anymore :laugh:

Follow the date stamps...
Oizarod115 is the winner.
But everyone else between him and me is a dumbass for not catching it...
I'd nominate this one but my membership lapsed so I haven't been able to get into the den...

Back