• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help ID this transfer case...Probably simple question...

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I need to ID this transfer case. I have crawled all over looking for the ID tag, but it appears to be missing. Ive never seen the shifter plate before, so Im asking for some input. Specs on the Jeep. 87, 4.0, auto, D44 rear. Shifter plate reads 2WD - HI LOCK - 4WD - N - LO LOCK. Is this a 242?? Before they started to label it full time and part time 4wd?

Here is a pic of the shifter plate.

852277_19_full.jpg

Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a simple question. I would have checked it out more but its been raining for like 3 days and the jeep is sitting in a kinda muddy area.

Justin

WOW that was fast. Thanks for the info. Is there any difference between that 242 and the ones that are labeled full time and part time??? Or is it just the shifter plate??

J

I beg to disagree. Hi-Lock is part-time -- there is no full-time position on that diagram. It should be a 231 but it could be a 207.

Hmm... Well, Im not familiar with the 207, but that was the only other model I could come up with. THe only thing that made me thing it had a full time function, was that the 2WD and 4WD positions were the same green color. The HI LOCK and LO LOCK were both yellow. I kinda just assumed it would mean 4WD was like the full time option.
Is that the order it would usually go in? 2WD - Part Time - Full Time - N 2LO?

J.

Yeah, that would be the order. I see how you're looking at it. I was reading it to just say the two "lock" positions are 4WD positions -- I wasn't reading the "4WD" label as an actual position. Does the shifter stop at that position, like there should be a detent there? If so, then I'd agree it's a 242.

Eagle...Yes there was a detent for each position on the shift plate. The wording on the shifter plate is what was confusing me. Ive just never seen the words HI LOCK and LO LOCK in conjunction with a 4wd position. Im going to go with 242. WHen the weather breaks Im going to remove it, along with some other drivetrain parts since Im parting the Jeep out...maybe I can make a confirmation then.

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
Eagle...Yes there was a detent for each position on the shift plate. The wording on the shifter plate is what was confusing me. Ive just never seen the words HI LOCK and LO LOCK in conjunction with a 4wd position. Im going to go with 242. WHen the weather breaks Im going to remove it, along with some other drivetrain parts since Im parting the Jeep out...maybe I can make a confirmation then.

Justin
Fixed rear yoke, or slip yoke?

If fixed, MAY be a 228/9

Slip, it's a 242.

"If fixed, MAY be a 228/9"

Tell me more, I was looking under a 85 cherokee with a fixed yoke yesterday, this one had a little panel with a lever that said 2wd------4wd with a switch between the two, it also said select track, there was no lever.

Well I verified it as being a 242. Thanks for the help. Just for the curious at heart... it was a fixed yoke. I actually found the tag. Even after my initial scraping of the crud I still couldnt see it when I looked the other day. So I grabbed some brake clean it half the tag was still there. Enough to say 242.

J

ghettocruiser said:
Well I verified it as being a 242. Thanks for the help. Just for the curious at heart... it was a fixed yoke. I actually found the tag. Even after my initial scraping of the crud I still couldnt see it when I looked the other day. So I grabbed some brake clean it half the tag was still there. Enough to say 242.

J
242's DO NOT have fixed yokes...UNLESS someone put on an SYE.

Simpler question..Are there 2 shift levers on the case?

Littlewhitexj, that would be an AMC selectrac. There SHOULD be a lever in the normal place...that controls Range selection(Hi/Low)

the switch is for 2/4wd.

If there was not a lever, than it's missing, and you should back away.

WOW...I have no idea what I was thinking when I typed that last post... It is NOT a fixed yoke. Totally my stupid typo mistake. It was a slip yoke. The tag says 242.

There is only one shift lever on the case.

Sorry about that...dont know why I typed fixed yoke.

Justin

"Littlewhitexj, that would be an AMC selectrac. There SHOULD be a lever in the normal place...that controls Range selection(Hi/Low)

the switch is for 2/4wd.

If there was not a lever, than it's missing, and you should back away"

there may have been a lever, i didnt look all that close, i was at the scrap -yard waiting for the guy to pull me a taillight.

Back