• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4" lift on stock springs and no blocks!

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Now that got your attention didn't it ;)

I have just added a write up showing how I have lowered both front and rear leaf spring mounts to gain my height without the need for new springs or blocks. Nice soft ride and great travel now.

LeafMounts 022.jpg

LeafMounts 046.jpg

See my how to section on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info

why not inboard them at the same time to get better flex?

then you can make mounts ont he frame instead of next to it...

when i was toying around with swaping in a toy8" i was considering inboarding the leaves...

intersting, how about a few more pics

Normally, you dont see this "drop hangar" method done on xj's because the results are usually shoddy and not of the safest design.

Your execution however seems to be quite stout, and well engineered. More pics please. This is something I could see catching on, given its performed at the level at which you have achieved with your particular modification.

Edit:
Wait... I just realized who it was that posted this mod in the first place. Nevermind. No surprise here, lol! Gojeep, you are one inventive chap. I shouldve known that was you. :worship:

Ive been following along on your site for some time now. Great advice, and even better ingenuity. And congrats on your recent publication/recognization in JP magazine. :thumbup:

Last edited:
awesome idea!!

Thanks for the comments guys. There is a heep of pictures on my site in the write up as noted. Did you look at those and still think it was not enough?

GoJeep: I like this modification so much I want to duplicate it myself on my own XJ !

How has this been holding up for you ?

Did you weld this up with a MIG welder with HSS wire ?

I'm thinking of using 1/4" plate steel.. since thats what is common here and I have avaliable.
Would you have some more sepific dimensions of the plates you cut out for this mod ? Save me some trouble :)

Has anyone else done this mod and how did it turn out ?

Dan

XJ_ranger said:
why not inboard them at the same time to get better flex?

then you can make mounts ont he frame instead of next to it...

when i was toying around with swaping in a toy8" i was considering inboarding the leaves...

from what i've gathered this would make for a interesting situation on anything significantly off-camber. i've never done it myself so i am not talking from experience, but all i can picture in my head is a jeep always falling over.

dan89XJ said:
GoJeep: I like this modification so much I want to duplicate it myself on my own XJ !

How has this been holding up for you ?

Did you weld this up with a MIG welder with HSS wire ?

I'm thinking of using 1/4" plate steel.. since that's what is common here and I have available.
Would you have some more specific dimensions of the plates you cut out for this mod ? Save me some trouble :)

Has anyone else done this mod and how did it turn out ?

Dan

It has been holding up very well and have been more pleased with the results than I did fitting the RE front drop brackets. Huge improvement compared to that.
I used solid core .9 mm wire to weld it. The only dimensions I have are the ones mentioned in the write up I'm sorry. Pretty easy to work out anyway and you can take all your own measurements before even pulling out the springs as what I did getting as much prepared before hand.
As for fitting them under the frame you would loose to much stability in cornering and off camber situations as mentioned.

Im not one to flame ya GO Jeep
but this is a bad idea for most guys I think
cause once they figure out the really need new springs and pony up the cash those brackets will be a bitch to get out :exclamati
It is cheap though

I like it. Ive often speculated what would be involved with dropping the entire spring insead of just the shackle end, and now I know. Thank you again GoJeep, I will be melding your fab into my own version of that very same setup now for certain, seeing that it is in practical application. My first thought was to only fab HD front drop brackets to match an extendo-shackle and stock mount, but I see by your write up that its worth beefing both front and rear. Good form, man, good form.

VegasAnthony said:
Im not one to flame ya GO Jeep
but this is a bad idea for most guys I think
cause once they figure out the really need new springs and pony up the cash those brackets will be a bitch to get out :exclamati
It is cheap though
Dont see why you would ever want to cut them out but if you look you can see I have full access to the original holes and would only have to cut to give room for where the spring leaves or enters the box. I would think most would just fit say OME 2" leaves for a total of a 6" lift but still have the lower roll centre but with better handling and travel.

Back