• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock length

EdgarNYU

NAXJA Forum User
There must be some kind of a distributing war going on b/c I cannot get a part # or the tech support for Doestch Tech 3000 shocks.

My bro has a '91 XJ with (soon) a 2"BB( pucks and shackles).

Need longer shocks.

Does anyone know what size travel I need for this lift?

My choices were 8,9,10 or 13".

Dunno.

Edgar

Hmmm, their web site appears to be gone and that used to have all the model #'s and specs. You could use Skyjacker Hydros for a 0-3" lift, I use them with my 2" BB and they're great.
Front: H7016
Rear: H7018

You don't really need longer shocks with a 2" budget boost, and if you install longer shocks you MUST extend the bump stops or you'll damage the shocks when the suspension fully compresses. Rancho's catalog specifies the same shock for stock height through 3 inches of lift. That's not a misprint -- I called and spoke to one of their engineers to confirm that's what they meant.

My recollection is that the stock shocks in the Monroe line have a tad less than 8" of travel. I guess if you feel you really MUST have longer shocks, for a 2" lift you'd add 2" to the shocks and get 10" of travel.

Eagle and erikcs301,

Thanks for the input. I would be worried about not getting enoughtravel but now must enquire of the issue concerning bump stop. Thanks for the heads up.

I would like to know more abouit the skyjacker shock and if a bump stop extension is needed. Hummm?

are they more expensive. My buds in PA swear by the DT3000's and did not mention the bumpstops at all.

Curious minds want to know.

Here's what I wrote down for my DT3000s; hopefully I can still interpret my writing correctly:
At 2" I had a "03282" in front, and a "03231" in the rear.
At 4.5" I have a DT3354 in front and a DT3333 in the rear.

Both sets are DT3000 shocks; the 2" numbers are probably something directly off the shock while I'm sure the 4.5" numbers were off the box. RE still sells those so they can probably tell you the actual part number if you can't find it.

Stock shocks were almost bottomed out on my XJ when I did the Budget Boost; I had about an inch of downtravel left in them when sitting flat on the driveway; I wouldn't recommend running them with a 2" BB unless you measure. I never did extended bumpstops on that lift either and the DTs were fine when I pulled them off; I never heard a complaint about them from the guy I gave them to, either.

Yucca-Man said:
Stock shocks were almost bottomed out on my XJ when I did the Budget Boost; I had about an inch of downtravel left in them when sitting flat on the driveway; I wouldn't recommend running them with a 2" BB unless you measure. I never did extended bumpstops on that lift either and the DTs were fine when I pulled them off; I never heard a complaint about them from the guy I gave them to, either.
Semantics again, but I believe in industry standard terminology your shocks were almost "topped out," not almost "bottomed out." When you lifted, you pulled the pistons higher in the bores, closer to the top of the shock.

Also, in terms of the shock absorber, what you had remaining was 1" of UP-travel, not 1" of down-travel. You're referring to the suspension only having an inch of droop, or extension, but for the shock absorber that's up-travel because the piston is moving up in the bore.

The ideal is to have the piston at mid-stroke with the vehicle sitting at rest on level ground. That allows equal up-travel and down-travel. The problem with putting in a very long shock with a budget boost is that compressing the suspension can cause the shock piston to reach the bottom of its travel ("bottoming out") before the suspension hits the bump stops. Most shock absorbers are not designed to withstand that, although a few do have a built-in stop. In general, it's enough of a concern that Connecticut's motor vehicle regulations, which don't say a whole lot about suspension alterations, do include a provision that specifically prohibits any alteration that causes the shock absorbers to reach the limit of their travel in either direction.

My bro just ordered them from "american Mudders".

But now what should we do? Other than installing the shocks and 2"BB, where do i go?

Is there a need for a BPE(I heard /read this somewhere)?

I appreciate the input. Thank you very much.

Back