• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moan 'n Groan

zahra2325

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4.0L 40000miles
somtimes when i am turning the steering wheel gives of this moan or groan not real sure what it is? any ideas on what to check for?

I have the same question, My pump is new (within 3000 miles) the system has been flushed, and the fluid is full, and every once in a while I get quite a groan from the steering, its definatly in the pump or steering box, but I have never gotten it to make the sound while I was checking under the hood. Now one thing I do notice is that my steering box is leaking a little bit, no drips on the driveway but its pretty wet around the steering shaft input.

Anyone know what this sound may be?

Josh

Believe it or not, but it can also be the steering stabalizer. It was an annoyance for 6 months and didn't do it all the time. I did an oil spray bath underneath one weekend and after a couple of weeks of driving, I realized the noise went away. A couple of weeks after that it came back. So, using deductive reasoning, I brushed some oil on the stabalizer shaft and the noise went away. Now, since I've made some lift changes and swapped out the stabalizer, I no longer have the groan.

rstarch345 said:
Believe it or not, but it can also be the steering stabalizer. It was an annoyance for 6 months and didn't do it all the time. I did an oil spray bath underneath one weekend and after a couple of weeks of driving, I realized the noise went away.

I think this is different. My '00 has had the same groan (usually when fully warmed-up, and parked for a moment... like stopping at the 7-11 after the highway drive to work). It's been there, without change, for a couple of years ... and survived my steering-stabilizer change-out without making a bit of difference.

I sometimes wonder if a (better?) PS fluid cooler would help. (My PT Cruiser has a similar sound occasionally... it's PS cooler is mounted in (IMHO) a very hot location behind the engine).

Den

zahra2325 said:
Any one have a clue? it doesnt seem to be major but i dont want it to creep up on me.

Are you turning it to full lock when you experience the noise?

What size tires? Stock steering?

A design function of most power steering pumps is the pressure relief valve. When the pressure exceeds the max and the pressure relief valve valve opens it gives off a buzzing/groaning sound.

If you turn to full lock you should hear it. If you have large tires you are using greater ps pressures and perhaps opening the relief valve.

HTH

Tires 235 75 15
stock steering
but i did it when i had the stock tires too

the sound comes from what seems just on the other side of the firewall

zahra2325 said:
Any one have a clue? it doesnt seem to be major but i dont want it to creep up on me.
Just a hunch, but smell the fluid and see if it doesn´t smell burnt or is it discolored. The oil shears (becomes thinner) overheats and gets even thinner. Think power steering oil changes, are one of the more negelected services on most vehicles. Commercial hydrolic systems, get periodic viscosity tests for fluid shear and some even require, summer and winter wieght, hydrolic fluid changes.

Just a thought: Proper fluid type? I nearly destroyed a Volvo steering pump before I pulled my head out of...well, you know, and read the owner's manual. How was I supposed to know that Volvos use transmission fluid in the power steering pump? Damn dirty Swedes.

zahra2325 said:
how the heck do you do a power steering oil change?
I found a Ford rear window washer pump at the junk yard, put some wires and a set of alligator clips on it and use it for a fluid pump. Been going strong for many years. I´ve also got one of those rubber squeeze bulbs for battery water, that will work in a pinch. Not gonna get it all, but much of it will come out of the resivoir. Might even use some tubing and siphon most of it out.

Back