• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mj No-slip

speedbump

NAXJA Member #1170
The 88MJ (auto) has been my beater and is now coming under the knife. As the 3.08's have to go I have picked up a '97 non-disconnect and a Chy 29 spline 8.25 w/4.10 (from an XJ - it appears the spring pads are at diff spacing). The plan is for a 4.5 front and a spring over for the rear, and running 31's poss 32's.
Trail use will be an honest 50/50 with the dd use being mostly towing. The winter use will be as an incleminate weather (snow, ice etc.) vehicle.
A locker seems unwise, (given the budget, a selectable would be way down the road) but, I was considering a no-slip. The question comes to; rear only, front and rear, or front. Or is it even worth it. Both axles are not yet installed and I would like to do any mods before installing.
Additionally, what is the down side to replacing all the rubber bushings with poly? Search really did not help - would like openions. Thanks.

Poly rides rougher and doesn't flex as well since the material is not as compliant as rubber. Don't do it!

The No-Slip is a great lunchbox locker once you get adjusted to the changed driving characteristics. I would start with one in the rear end first, but only after you've wheeled without it for awhile and learned the trucks capability. It will make you a better driver in the long run.

Sounds like a great plan for 32's. Have fun!

That was my concern about the poly - but all the bushings are shot and I will Need to replace.
I have been wheeling a TJ for a fue years with just a factory limited. It is time to take it up a notch. The wife wants the TJ as is.

speedbump said:
That was my concern about the poly - but all the bushings are shot and I will Need to replace.
I have been wheeling a TJ for a fue years with just a factory limited. It is time to take it up a notch. The wife wants the TJ as is.

Well, if you are lifting up to 4.5 inches, you'll be well off to get new control arms anyway so that solves the bushing problem in the front. You should be able to get replacement rubber for the rear springs if it is really at all necessary.

Geting new is not a problem, I was temped by the "complete" poly packages. I will be replacing more than the conrtol arms rubber. It is generally in tuff shape. How about all rubber except the Track bar. I have a RE Adjustable. I have not yet acquired the control arms. Do you recommend upper and lower?
Seems like your not in favor of the No-slip.
Thanks for the help

speedbump said:
The 88MJ (auto) has been my beater and is now coming under the knife. As the 3.08's have to go I have picked up a '97 non-disconnect and a Chy 29 spline 8.25 w/4.10 (from an XJ - it appears the spring pads are at diff spacing). The plan is for a 4.5 front and a spring over for the rear, and running 31's poss 32's.
Trail use will be an honest 50/50 with the dd use being mostly towing. The winter use will be as an incleminate weather (snow, ice etc.) vehicle.
A locker seems unwise, (given the budget, a selectable would be way down the road) but, I was considering a no-slip. The question comes to; rear only, front and rear, or front. Or is it even worth it. Both axles are not yet installed and I would like to do any mods before installing.
Additionally, what is the down side to replacing all the rubber bushings with poly? Search really did not help - would like openions. Thanks.

Do a little reading about a locker + snow and ice driving. It can get scary.

speedbump said:
Geting new is not a problem, I was temped by the "complete" poly packages. I will be replacing more than the conrtol arms rubber. It is generally in tuff shape. How about all rubber except the Track bar. I have a RE Adjustable. I have not yet acquired the control arms. Do you recommend upper and lower?
Seems like your not in favor of the No-slip.
Thanks for the help

I love the No-slip, I have several... it just takes getting used to and a certain extra level of driver awareness on pavement. Offroad, it gave my XJ more traction than I had ground clearance to handle, so I was very pleased with it.

Well, since you are switching to a non-disco D30 your front driveshaft will be turning all the time so it is important to get the pinion angle correct. New control arms will make this easier, both upper & lower with one or the other adjustable, although some stick with stock uppers.

The trackbar will be fine with poly, and your swaybar links and mounts will actually be better with poly. I just meant for the primary bushings in the control arms and leaf springs that rubber is better.

Thanks, That seems like the best choice on the poly.
As I have a bent upper, it needs replacement. Fixed upper and adjustable lowers? This seems like the best choice.
I currently drive a factory limitedslip all winter, the concern is what will the front be like with it spinning all the time, and how different is a no-slip than a factory LS.

speedbump said:
Thanks, That seems like the best choice on the poly.
As I have a bent upper, it needs replacement. Fixed upper and adjustable lowers? This seems like the best choice.
I currently drive a factory limitedslip all winter, the concern is what will the front be like with it spinning all the time, and how different is a no-slip than a factory LS.

Front won't behave any differently, they did away with the disconnect system in '91 with no ill effects. The No-Slip is a true automatic locker, which is much more aggressive than the factory LS. It allows the outside tire to freewheel in a turn, but locks up when torque is applied, the same as the Lockrite but had a synchronizer that reduces the clicking and ratcheting noises. So you want to stay off the gas during slippery turns unless you are playing around doing donuts.

As Lawn Cher' indicated, the No-Slip is a locker -- it's not a limited slip. You mentioned that your truck will be doing some towing. My understanding is that lockers are not recommended for towing. You might consider putting the No-Slip in the front and using an Auburn limited slip in the rear. The Auburn is still a limited slip, but more aggressive than the factory Trac-Lok.

Back