• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye 97 up into a pre 97(ouch)

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
107_0772.JPG

so I picked up this t case
obviously its froma 97 so it has the diffrent tail cone than mine
I have a 94

the question is
can I take my tailcone out (94) and rear shaft
and use the newer tailcone with this sye shaft and fixed yoke and install it in my pre 97

I believe that the shaft will fit in mine ......... right??
I knwo the tialcone will fit

VegasAnthony said:
so I picked up this t case
obviously its froma 97 so it has the diffrent tail cone than mine
I have a 94
That is a SYE tailcone and is wayyyy different than stock anyway...
the question is
can I take my tailcone out (94) and rear shaft
and use the newer tailcone with this sye shaft and fixed yoke and install it in my pre 97
yup - the only difference will be on the older 231 there were needle bearings inside the main shaft gears (4x4 actuation gears) and the new one wont have needle bearings...
pre1996 will have a synchro that the 1996+ wont

net effect - morph the two cases and make it work - it will

the craftsman lockring pliers will be your best friend...

I believe that the shaft will fit in mine ......... right??
I knwo the tialcone will fit

yup good luck

here is the 1/2 completed BS write up on t-case morph 101

XJ_ranger said:
the only difference will be on the older 231 there were needle bearings inside the main shaft gears (4x4 actuation gears) and the new one wont have needle bearings...

OK sounds reasonable
but im not intending on repalceing the main shaft gears
so this shouldnt be and issue
correct

pre1996 will have a synchro that the 1996+ wont

once again Im not replacing the the syncro just the output shaft
and the tailcone
right??

the craftsman lockring pliers will be your best friend...
yup learned this the hard way :laugh3:

yup good luck

here is the 1/2 completed BS write up on t-case morph 101

good write up on your mod

all this info kinda changes my question
now the question is

is a short shaft conversion is the same for all 231 t cases ??

does it matter what t case you are putting in the short shaft kit , pre or post 97??

in effect take out the the stock shaft with the gears (pre 97)
put the pre 97 gears and hardware on the short shaft
replace the shaft into the t case
and put the tailcone on....

perhaps Im beating this to death but I want to make sure Im getting this right
before I tear apart the tcase
btw I hoping to do this without removing the entire t case from the jeep

You mention that you are only replacing the output shaft. However, the output shaft IS the MAIN SHAFT. When you install the main shaft from the broken case, you will need to remove the needle bearings from your drive sprocket since the newer shaft is larger in diameter in this region by the thickness of the old needle bearings. Just press them out of the drive sprocket and then install the drive sprocket directly on the shaft with some ATF to prelube the thing. That's the way they run them now and it seems to work fine. You can keep your synchro and everything else if you want to. OR, you can upgrade other parts such as the range fork as I think the '97 unit is beefier than the older unit. I have a bit of a writeup on http://www.madxj.com doing something similar. Oh, you may need to trim your shift rail to length if it doesn't fit in the new output housing. In the shift pattern that makes the rod extend the furthest out of the case, it should extend no more than 1". You may want to get ahold of a set of SYE instructions if you have further questions. Jeff

yea I jsut read the jbconversion on thier site and it says if you have the needle bearings to dispose of them

you will need to remove the needle bearings from your drive sprocket since the newer shaft is larger in diameter in this region by the thickness of the old needle bearings

is it possible to use the drive sprocket from the newer t case
and use the whole unit that is already onthe main shft instead of pulling the sprocket off and putting the older one on?

if anyone has a set of instructions for a sye around I could use a copy to
[email protected]
thanx

Yes, you can use the drive sprocket and stuff on the main shaft from the newer case, but you will lose the sychro. Look at Advance adapters or maybe at Teraflex or groupbuy.com for instructions. I think I've seen them someplace. Jeff

VegasAnthony said:
yea I jsut read the jbconversion on thier site and it says if you have the needle bearings to dispose of them

you will need to remove the needle bearings from your drive sprocket since the newer shaft is larger in diameter in this region by the thickness of the old needle bearings

is it possible to use the drive sprocket from the newer t case
and use the whole unit that is already onthe main shft instead of pulling the sprocket off and putting the older one on?

if anyone has a set of instructions for a sye around I could use a copy to
[email protected]
thanx

TW's got ya!
http://www.4xshaft.com/NP231SHORTSHAFTFIXEDYOKEKITv2.pdf

using the 97+ gears in the older case = no problem...

i run a 97+ case with 1992 gears...

Back