• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 search

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
alright boys here it is, i have searched the first ten and half pages of aw4 problems and it looks like i have a unique problem....put in a new(used) aw4 and t-case for my 4wd conversion yesterday, and no power is coming to the axles so i removed the t-case and ran the jeep and found that the aw4 output shaft is not turning in any gear, anyone have an idea what this problem is, possible fixes etc..thanks....Maier

A few things that you probably already did..

You put fluid in it?
Does your TCU have 12V power?
Did you hook up the shift cable, maybe its stuck still in park or nuetral?
Torque converter bolted to the flywheel?

ahh as you stated yes it has fluid, i personally installed and bolted the torque converter to the flywheel, i started the jeep with my helper underneath and he watched as the shift cable attached to the arm on the aw4 shifted from P to D,R,N, 2/1, i have not checked the TCU for twelve volts, namely cuz everything worked correctly on friday when i initailly began this project. so i'm of the impression that it is probably tranny internal...any other thoughts men..thanx....
Maier

Heres a few ideas from the troubleshooting section of the AW4 manual...

CONDITION:
Vehicle does not move in any forward range or reverse

POSSIBLE CAUSE:
Shift linkage out of adjustment - not likely, you seem to have that covered...
Valve body or primary regulator faulty - possible
Park lock pawl faulty - That'd definitely be something to check...
Torque convertor faulty - not likely
Convertor drive plate broken - You already covered that as well...
Oil pump intake screen blocked - not too likely...

and, last but not least...
Transmission faulty - unlikely

IIRC, you swapped torque convertors. Did it seat all the way down in the tranny? I believe there are 3 "stops" until it is fully seated. I believe the last thing engaged is the pump. If it isn't engaged, no fluid will pump, and you're not going anywhere. Pull a tranny cooler line at the rad and fire it up for a second or two to see if you have fluid pumping. You may want to have a container to catch the fluid in, if it is indeed pumping...

There's a few ideas anyways...

Good luck to you

Edit: just out of curiosity, what did the "new" AW4 cost you?

what do you mean by "Park lock Pawl" faulty? i am not sure what this is.
next by "seating the torque converter" you are meaning on the tranny side as the gears from the tranny mess into the torque converter right?, how could the torque converter not mesh properly if the tranny bolted up to the motor properly, wouldn't it have to mesh properly for everything to fit right? i really appreciatte the help and ideas men. thanx again.
Maier
note pm sent to 98jeepxj

edit: what size are the four bolts that hold the front DS to the t-case, i still need to install that after i get this thing running and i cant seam to find them four bolts.thanx...

Last edited:
Grifter144 said:
edit: what size are the four bolts that hold the front DS to the t-case, i still need to install that after i get this thing running and i cant seam to find them four bolts.thanx...
Use an 8mm to remove them; I swapped mine out for 'regular' bolts awhile back but can't recall the thread right now. Next time I pull them I'll try to measure them.

98JeepXJ said:
IIRC, you swapped torque convertors. Did it seat all the way down in the tranny? I believe there are 3 "stops" until it is fully seated. I believe the last thing engaged is the pump. If it isn't engaged, no fluid will pump, and you're not going anywhere.

that's my guess! you put the convertor on and turn it a bit and it will go on more, and again, and again. It's like a combination lock, what the purpose is I don't know.

BrettM said:
that's my guess! you put the convertor on and turn it a bit and it will go on more, and again, and again. It's like a combination lock, what the purpose is I don't know.

there are splines that need to be engaged. I fought that on a TH350 for a week.

wait a minute, here is what i did, i had the tranny out but the torque converter was bolted to the fly wheel so when i swapped them i did just that i got under the jeep and installed the torque converter to the flywheel then i lifted the tranny and slid it onto the torque converter and bolted the tranny to the motor, ?should i have instlled the torque converter into the bellhousing on the tranny then installed the tranny into the motor?

should i have instlled the torque converter into the bellhousing on the tranny then installed the tranny into the motor?
Yes. That's what's wrong. The TC is not engaged with the transmission pump. Sometimes the pump seal will be damaged when the engine and trans are bolted up like this without engagement, so check everything when you take it apart.
:repair:

umm good thing i have my old 2wd tranny here still so i can swap out seals if need be....thanx men hopefully i'll be up and running tomorrow after i swap out my real main seal on the motor, and hopefully i'll have working digital so i can finally post up some pics of my lil lady....
Maier

Just another thought, maybe you should put a little fluid into the Torque converter before mounting it. Not sure if its needed but might help prime it up.

ahhh now that i did do...thanx for the info men, i just finished dropping the tranny and the torque converter neck looks kinda bent, going to take it and the old one up to the tranny guy tomorrow and see what he says, they seal in the tranny still looks good all the way around so i should have gotten lucky there, tomorrow after i get a new rear main installed i will begin to peice this baby back together...thanks again...
Maier

well men we are back to square one. i just reinstalled the new(used) tranny after removing it (c above) and properly installing the torque converter, and seating it all the way down on the tranny, i bolted the tranny back up to the motor and filled her with 5 qts of ATF +3, i did not reinstall the t-case so i could watch and see if i have power at the out put shaft on the tranny, again no dice, ?how long might it take for a TConverter to engage and suckup the fluid out of the pan. i am now back at square one, i am going to check the TCU next, (under the dash pass side right?) afte that i am all out of ideas. someone mentioned Park pawl lock earlier any idea what this is and how i might find it to diagnos...thanks men....
Maier

Grifter144 said:
well men we are back to square one. i just reinstalled the new(used) tranny after removing it (c above) and properly installing the torque converter, and seating it all the way down on the tranny, i bolted the tranny back up to the motor and filled her with 5 qts of ATF +3, i did not reinstall the t-case so i could watch and see if i have power at the out put shaft on the tranny, again no dice, ?how long might it take for a TConverter to engage and suckup the fluid out of the pan. i am now back at square one, i am going to check the TCU next, (under the dash pass side right?) afte that i am all out of ideas. someone mentioned Park pawl lock earlier any idea what this is and how i might find it to diagnos...thanks men....
Maier
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/at/AT_001.html

This is for a a340E Toyota branded tranny. ALMOST 99% the same as the AW4.

About 10 pages in is the troubleshooting section. All is related to the AW4.

You might have to get creative with the descriptions(it'sfor a supra after all) but it'll help.

Maier, 5 qts ATF might not have been enough. After running the engine, double check the fluid level. It takes several seconds of running to fill the torque converter, and a lot of fluid........

yeah i ran it for like 4 minutes and must have checked the level seven times in that four minutes and it never dropped. so far as i can tell it appears that the tranny pump is not working or engaging so i am going to attempt to swap the new trannies pump with the pump from my old tranny, if that doesn't get it to work i'm going to bite the bullet and take it to the tranny guy up the street and let him fix the whole damn thing..., i am also going to go ahead and get a brand new torque converter from a local shop or something before the tranny guy gets the jeep...now i just have to figure out how to get that face off the trannies......so i can cunduct a swap.....yippie here we go....

Maier

SEe my above post for a manual if you don't have one.

Before doing all that, pull off both cooler lines, and have a helper start the engine.

Standing back, watch to see if fluid is pumping. If it is, the pump is fine.

I'm still leaning on the converter not being seated alll the way.

Storydude said:
SEe my above post for a manual if you don't have one.

Before doing all that, pull off both cooler lines, and have a helper start the engine.

Good idea...The line coming out of the front of the trans is the pressure side.

Back