• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85XJ owners some info please

My first XJ was a 85 with the 2.8V6, The motor was poo poo pretty much but it kept on kickin. Their notorious for intake gasket failures causing loss of coolant and eventual motor failure eventually. Not much on power but I was running 32s and 5" of lift. I beat it endlessly and it never let me down. should be able to pick up one dirt cheap these days.

What do you want to do with this jeep and what kind of power are you looking for? The 85 came with the GM 2.8 V6 and also the 2.5 inline four cylinder by AMC. I have an 85 wagoneer with the carb. 2.5 with a three speed auto tranny. 85's usually come with a dana 30 up front and a dana 35 in the back which in my opinion is a weak axle. I have a 3 inch lift with 31-10.5 BFG radial mud terrains. I personally like the 2.5 engine. It has enough power for me to do what I want and I beat my truck pretty hard. Is this going to be your daily driver? I use mine maybe two to three times a week for a daily driver and have no problems driving it on the highway with no sway bar in the front and the lift and tires. I wish I could get some different gears because my gas mileage went down. I run 3.73 gears which is ok for me. Are you looking for at a specific jeep or just the year? What are you looking to do with it? Let us know and maybe we can help you out more. Eagle is a great guy here and knows alot about them. Maybe he will let us know something.

Kim.

hey- I have an 85 and I liek it more than my 00. she is just more fun for me to drive. when some thing breaks (don't worry it will) it is simple to fix. I have recently had issues with a rotted out block heater, starter, and clutch. but other than those small things she is running great.

I just got rid of my 85 wih the GM 2.8. Not much power but i loved the thing. It just had alot of caracter. I thrashed it to pieces , took nit to Tellico almost stock, and it kept on going. One thing i wished i had done ,was change the carb for a Weber. I've heard it makes a big difference on power and fuel economy. I still have my 89 4.0 but will miss my 85.

Back