• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will not start! Help Please!

Noodle

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj 4.0 and it quit running a few months ago, I replaced the fuel pump and it still will not start, I checked the voltage at the pump connector and it was around 10-11 after you turn the key on and did not change when cranking, I checked the voltage at the ballast resistor and jumping it completly, this morning I checked the voltage at the ballast and it was around 4 on one side and 2 on the other, I just charged the batt and it's reading this morning was 12.9, the relay on the drivers side is buzzing and I have traded it for some of the others in the bank of 4 relays. Any ideas where to check next?

Noodle said:
Any ideas where to check next?

Engine is "cranking and no start", I assume? Locate the CPS connector between the rear portion valve cover and firewall near driver side. Give it a good excersize/cleaning. Check CPS resistance with an ohm meter. Should be about 200-300 ohms. Got fuel pressure at the bleed valve on fuel rail? Also, sniff tailpipe for raw fuel but CPS is probably most common "crank yet no-start" condition with Renix MPI. Get manual, many PDF available for free that are close enough. Not too many things to go wrong and/or check against operational description - electrical specifications.

I checked the CPS connection and the ohm reading was around 280. Any other ideas? The engine cranks but will not start.

Back