• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 won't shift into 4 low

corbinafly

"Mmmm. More please."
For those of you who are familiar with the internal workings of the 231, what's wrong with my tcase. When I try to shift into 4 low, all I get is grinding like if you had a manual tranny and tried shifting without pushing the clutch all the way in. It never gets into 4 low.
Do I need a new tcase? Or is it something that can be adjusted or replaced to make it work again? And another thing, when I first bought my xj, the color of the t case fluid was grey when I emptied it to change fluid. I've never seen that before. Any ideas...?

Check tour tranny crossmember and see if it is dented or smashed in.

Grey fluid indicates metal in the oil. That and the fact that your having problems getting engagement in low probably means the range fork is badly worn. If this is an auto, are you putting it in nuetral when trying to shift?

robz95xj said:
Check tour tranny crossmember and see if it is dented or smashed in.

Looks perfect on the outside except for a leaking output seal.

explorer said:
Grey fluid indicates metal in the oil. That and the fact that your having problems getting engagement in low probably means the range fork is badly worn. If this is an auto, are you putting it in nuetral when trying to shift?

Yes, i put it in neutral. When I changed the fluid, I didn't feel or notice any metal in the fluid. Even put my finger in the drain hole to check for metal.

try adjusting the linkage you should have an 8th inch of play behind the handle when its in 4lo. loosen the adjuster bolt on linkage, select 4lo from below the vehicle, shim 8th" behind the lever inside your rig and tighten the adjuster bolt.

do you already have a SYE?

Was the oil grey like the color of bare aluminum or just dark like it was maybe dirty. The fork, when worn, basically leaves a very fine metal powder in the oil. You won't really be able to feel anything substantial, but the color gives it away. I guess the thing to do would be to disconnect the linkage at the t-case, and shift it there so you can confirm that the shifter is hitting the detent position for low. If so, and its still not engaging properly, then the fork is the most likely suspect.

davelbert said:
try adjusting the linkage you should have an 8th inch of play behind the handle when its in 4lo. loosen the adjuster bolt on linkage, select 4lo from below the vehicle, shim 8th" behind the lever inside your rig and tighten the adjuster bolt.

do you already have a SYE?

That was the first thing I tried. The linkage is in perfect adjustment. And I don't have a SYE yet. Waiting till after I lift to about 6" so I won't have to buy drive shafts twice. :lecture:

dothedew24_7 said:
Are you stopped when you shift or slowly moving?

I tried both. I used to have a 93 yj with the same t case so I know how to shift.

explorer said:
Was the oil grey like the color of bare aluminum or just dark like it was maybe dirty. The fork, when worn, basically leaves a very fine metal powder in the oil. You won't really be able to feel anything substantial, but the color gives it away. I guess the thing to do would be to disconnect the linkage at the t-case, and shift it there so you can confirm that the shifter is hitting the detent position for low. If so, and its still not engaging properly, then the fork is the most likely suspect.

Yes! The color was that of aluminum. And I'm pretty sure the shifter is hitting the detent position for low, so I guess it probably is the fork. Bummer. :rattle:

So.... is it time for a new one? Is this the perfect excuse to get an Atlas II? Or do I just get another 231 with the SYE?

I just did a full rebuild with jb's super short sye, new chain, new shift fork (wish i'd have put in terra's 2lo), partial master rebuild kit. With a lift and trans jack took about five hours out and back in

all total $510ish
JB sold my TW drive shaft for $199 with the package

www.jbconversions.com/

Back