• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still have oil in air filter....

gr8tires

NAXJA Forum User
On my 88 4.0 w/158k miles, I replaced the rear ccv grommetand tube, and front tube and grommet in valve cover. I read this would help eliminate oil in the air filter, but no help. Is my next step to remove valve cover to clean out the baffles? or is a ring job next???? :wave:

Probably a cylinder rehone and ring job next. Do a "wet" and "dry" compression test on all cylinders to see how much compression you're losing past worn rings.

Cleaning out the valve cover will help but nothing will cure it. A search will reveal taht many end up going to a puke tube. Not sure, but maybe a ring job is overkill at this point; IMHO. Granted, if compression is way out of specs, this changes things.

Just replacing the stuff does not cut it, you need to remove the cover and clean it out. That includes the sludge on the head. Once the cover is off take a plastic scraper and a shop vac and start cleaning the crud out around the valve springs and all over the head. Keep the shop vac close, work in tandem, you don't want any chunks finding their way down into the oil returns.
As the returns and head area get sludged up the oil level in the head area gets higher so you can trim that ccv a bit to get it up higher out of the flow.
Then you might want to consider putting either an engine flush in there over the next few oil changes or put a can or two of synthetic oil which is very high detergent, to help clean it out a bit more gently. Keep an eye on the dipstick though and when you can't read the hash marks or lettering on the stick change the filter and add a quart.

Dr. Dyno said:
Probably a cylinder rehone and ring job next. Do a "wet" and "dry" compression test on all cylinders to see how much compression you're losing past worn rings.

What he said. :lecture:

Oil is pushing past one or more of the piston rings.

They really aren't too hard to replace - it just takes a while because you have to pull off the head, oil pan, exhaust manifold....
Oh heck - yea, it was a pita. :laugh3:

Back