• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's window problem fix

8991XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well the driver's window in my 91xj 2-dr has been intermittent for some time. I have been able to get the window to work by opening the door, nudging the wiring harness between the door and chassis or just driving. Since the window decided to quit today I decided to do something about it. So I have read the archives about different problems and pulled the door panel to look at the harness for chafing or shorts. There were a few scrapes down to the conductor in a few places, but after pulling the harness from the door and unwrapping it, the window still was intermittent with a tug to the wiring going into the chassis causing the window to work/not work. So I dug a little further and pulled the kick panel to see where the wiring goes. It goes to a large connector in the kick panel. Thinking I could pull the entire harness out of the car and check individual wires, I grab the connector in the kick panel and it came apart way too easy. So I'm thinking this connector was not plugged in tight. All is well now, but I am leaving the kick panel off for further investigation of the stuff there.

Well one down and one to go. The passenger's side window stopped working even though I installed a new switch a few years ago. I hate electrical problems but solving the driver's side window problem gives me too much confidence.

I have never bought a vehicle with electric windows, I keep them too long, about the furthest I would go would be electric remote locks...

Back