• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 lever, under raddle

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2001 cherokee sport, it has a slight raddle under the back part of the 4x4 cover plate. have greased the linkage, slowed raddle a bit but still there. any ideal on what this is? is there anything right under the cover plate on the inside? that would raddle.

only does it when sitting, or slowing to a stop

my 90 does this same thing at idle. On mine it is a missing screw on the "Z" gate bracket for the shift pattern. I would immagine a lose screw could do the same thing.

Same problem on my 2000. While sitting at a stop light if I lift the handle (like engaging 4WD) putting a little pressure on it the rattle stops. This leads me to believe that the rattle is caused by the arm resting on the stop in the 2wd position.

The linkage is adjustable from under neath and I was thinking of adjusting it shorter. Just have had time to attempt yet.

Good luck,
Tom

2000 xj sport, same exact issue. Is the bushing easily accessible from the outside? Its kinda annoying, but iam assuming its not causing any harm.

John H.

Take it to a dealer and thye can supply you with the parts or do the labor too.

Common problem having to do with bushings and springs.

Fergie

GreenXJ2K said:
2000 xj sport, same exact issue. Is the bushing easily accessible from the outside? Its kinda annoying, but iam assuming its not causing any harm.

John H.

Yes, the bushing is accessible (not very easily) from the outside. Getting it in is also a serious pain in the butt. The parts however are only about $12 if you replace all 3 of the bushings. You'll be replacing black ones with green ones.

John_Sprague said:
Yes, the bushing is accessible (not very easily) from the outside. Getting it in is also a serious pain in the butt. The parts however are only about $12 if you replace all 3 of the bushings. You'll be replacing black ones with green ones.
Is that what needs to be done when they fall out,too? :laugh3:
I remember going to Montrose on a parts run last year... :wave:

Back