• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle cut out / loss of power??

XJ618

NAXJA Forum User
Well this is really starting to bug me so i think i will ask about it. I have a 5spd 96 that has around 130k on it and runs great. but every once in a while (3 times a week) i will be going up a hill or putting some relative strain on the engine in 2nd gear and the engine will literally almost die, and the only way to keep going is to go to neutral then hit the gas again. Its like the gas is cut off from the engine for a second like it is when you are close to dry in the tank and you go around a turn, I thought it was my exhaust getting clogged with debris from my busted cat but i replaced it, and it started doing it again. The strangest part of all is that the rpms still go up, there just isn't any power behind it! anyone follow that and have any possible pokes at the problem??? thanks

i am sure this problem is mechanical not electrical. normal wear and tear will cause gears to slip. just as in most vehicles 2nd gear is usual the first to go. i have had it happen in 3 different vehicles. a 92 camaro rs, an 88 porsche 944, and a 95 ford f-250. i used to live in big hill country in the mountians. while i owned all 3 of those. and experianced the same problem. best way to tell is to try and down shift to 1. if you got power again and the engine bogs when you let out the clutch slowly then its definatly that the tranny is slipping. especialy if the rpm's continue to rise. not really a cheap fix if thats a problem. but to ignore it makes it more expencive you could expect about $500 right now if it is just 2nd. but keep going with it and 4th will be next. 2nd and 4th will run you about $900. after that the whole darn thing lets go. then your talking anywere from $1,500 to $2,000 unless you find a tranny used at a junk yard.

p.s. in case your wondering the valididty of this statement. i am a transmision mechanic and have been for 3 years now. i see problems like these come in all the time. luckly not with my own xj. i went automatic this time. smartest thing i have done yet in my life (except divorcing the x wife)

Back