• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control vac. cannister

thecozmo65

NAXJA Forum User
I dont use the cruise nor would I if it worked and the cannister broke its self yesterday. I was just wondering how to go about removing and maintaining vac. pressure.

You need to replace the cannister, it does more than operate the cruise control, it provides vac for the heater box to operate the flapper and some other stuff depeinding on year...

I removed mine and now my cruise control dos'nt work and my heater only blows air through thetop of the dash by the winshield.

you can live w/o the canister.
I ran withont the canister for a year or so, the heat will every now and then shut off for a few seconds in some situations, but not so much that it bothered me.

If your heat doesn't work at all you have a leak.

gjxj said:
you can live w/o the canister.
I ran withont the canister for a year or so, the heat will every now and then shut off for a few seconds in some situations, but not so much that it bothered me.

If your heat doesn't work at all you have a leak.

How well this works may depend on whether you have a disconnect front axle. If you do (and cozmo does, on his 90) then it will also pop out of 4WD in the same situations that the heater shuts off. So there you are driving up a long ice-covered hill in a blizzard, and you're right near the top as an oncoming car starts fishtailing down toward you...Having fought every disconnect malfunction possible on an 87 through several Vermont winters, I can say with some confidence that this is NOT what you want to have happen.

Good point. Actually I thought the 4x4 actuator was a sort of vacuum
driven motor that would stay put if you lost vacuum, but I didn't drive around
in 4x4 to know for sure what would happen.

Back