• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ doors question

"Wolz"

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone confirm or deny that the doors for the four door XJ fit the same for all years?

I want to take a shot making soft doors. My idea uses the entire door as a start. I am not concerned with the wing window on the early front doors. Nor am I concerned with body lines/creases. I am concerned with the fit in the door opening itself.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
not true. They don't directly. Minor adjustments might will be needed to be made to the striker bolt.

I don't know when they changed from single post type strikers to a loop on the door frame, but there is a difference. I have 86s, 87s, 88s, one 89 ... and then nothing until 2000. The height of the striker and latch (loop style) on the 2000 is different from the older ones with the single post type striker.

I think this change was made around 94 or 95, but I'll leave that for others to confirm. IMHO it is more than a "minor adjustment" of the striker. The door frame would have to be modified to place the striker at a different height, and I don't see that as "minor."

Eagle said:
I don't know when they changed from single post type strikers to a loop on the door frame, but there is a difference. I have 86s, 87s, 88s, one 89 ... and then nothing until 2000. The height of the striker and latch (loop style) on the 2000 is different from the older ones with the single post type striker.

I think this change was made around 94 or 95, but I'll leave that for others to confirm. IMHO it is more than a "minor adjustment" of the striker. The door frame would have to be modified to place the striker at a different height, and I don't see that as "minor."

it went to the loop style in 97. 96 have the old single striker post.

I plan on making some half doors, so I can get at least a little lean out the window for a visual. I figure I can chop the door to 3/4 to half of the original size.

Brendan_91XJ said:
I plan on making some half doors, so I can get at least a little lean out the window for a visual. I figure I can chop the door to 3/4 to half of the original size.
I'm in the process of making half-doors out of an 87 cherokee, and I cut right at the body line. It leaves you with enough room to see and put your arm on too.

what sort of detach system are you setting up? or just unscrewing and re hanging the door with the stock bolts?

i was thinking of possibly fabbing up some YJ door hinge like 4 of them on the XJ door to support the weight and tryingin with a wiring harness, etc to make it a quick swap? what are you guys doing?

deathwobblezj said:
what sort of detach system are you setting up? or just unscrewing and re hanging the door with the stock bolts?

i was thinking of possibly fabbing up some YJ door hinge like 4 of them on the XJ door to support the weight and tryingin with a wiring harness, etc to make it a quick swap? what are you guys doing?

i made YJ style door hinges and for wireing all i have is two wires for my speakers so i went to a trailer shop and got a two pin trailer plug and hooked it up takes me less than 5 min. to take off or put on both sides.

deathwobblezj said:
what are you guys doing?

Its a secret. shhhh...

I'm still trying to find the time to get the write-up done about the doors that I built.

halfdoor2.JPG

I have several photos available to anyone that wants.

I hope to get the write-up finished soon. Need a good day to take a few more photos and measurements, then a bad day to stay inside and sit at the computer for a while.

Daryl

Back