• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock Knock Knock from the front

rumblebelly

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I'm starting to really hate this vehicle and wondering if I got a lemon. I just bought it a couple of months ago and has only 73K miles. Now I'm noticing a knocking sound coming from the front end at slow speads (<5 mph). The sound seems to change when I turn, as is pulling into a parking space. Could this possible be a front u-joint?

I just noticed this during lunch at work and I have a 20 mile commute home. Think it's safe to drive it home?

sounds like it might be a u-joint, but I'd typically describe the sound as a "click" rather than a "knock". More noticable when you drive adjacent to a wall or other sound reflective barrier.

Perhaps a knock or click isn't the best way to describe it. It's almost like a tap, very similar to when my left tire rubs on the control arm but not as loud. Also, I can almost feel it kinda grab and give.

Oh man...now it's not doing it anymore. Must have cured itself or perhaps there was something catching underneath...I noticed that darn liner fell down and was laying on the front differential and steering linkage. I doubt it was causing the noise though.

Sorry JJacobs, kinda pointless for me to take you up on that offer. Thanks anyway.

Got a newbie question though. With my very limited experience, I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. However, is it normal for the front drive have a bit of play as it goes into the front diff? I noticed a mild clunking noise from the pig as I rotated the front tire back and forth.

Normal noise, without seeing it. Everything from the trans to the diffs has mechanical play, mostly to keep things oiled, so you'll hear a lot of stuff clunk if you rock it back and forth.

Make sure your ujoint caps aren't rusty, rust is a sign of impending failure.

Back