• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

remove rocker panels ?

xray

NAXJA Member #1056
The rocker panels on my 89 2 door are rusted in front of the rear wheels.
I am wondering if I can totally remove the rocker and replace it with some square stock maybe 2 in.? Would I have to weld it in place to keep the strength of the unibody? How much would it weaken the structure? The reason I want to do it this way is so I can have decent protection for the doors while still having good ground clearance. I also want to get rid of the ugly nerf bars.

This has been covered many times. Do a search for crash or jes or look at two articles on www.madxj.com. Andreas welded in rock rails up to just below where the door jams are. He had to cut some off the door to allow them to close. Those are high clearance rockers! Rick Norman also did a nice weld in rocker on his blue rig. I know there are pics somewhere. Jeff

yes it can be done. A J's offroad armor did this to his rig(i saw it in person) and it is a good idea if you have a welder, skills etc. same thing as angrydog actually.

I cut mine out, and then took a piece of 5" flat steel and welded it to the top of the pinch seam and angled it up to the top of where the rocker used to be. Welded all the way around the flat steel. Really beefed it up. Not to mention i have flat rocksliders with 1/2" lip sticking out from under the doors.

fire325 said:
I cut mine out, and then took a piece of 5" flat steel and welded it to the top of the pinch seam and angled it up to the top of where the rocker used to be. Welded all the way around the flat steel. Really beefed it up. Not to mention i have flat rocksliders with 1/2" lip sticking out from under the doors.

Got any pics of this?? a local metal worker and I are trying to figure a way to do it also. The rust is spreading like a disease!!

Unfortunately i don't own a digital camera, and didn't even think to borrow one. And didn't even think to take any 35mm pics. I'll see if i can borrow a digital and take some pics this weekend, maybe give ya a better idea. Sorry for the inconvienance.

Back