• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fullsize Chevy 1/2 ton Axles in my 87 XJ

jlake000

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looken to put fullsize chevy axles in my 87 XJ. Has anyone out there done this sort of swap? How well has it worked out? What problems did you run into during your swap? I would really appreciate it if anyone that has done this swap could lend some advice and knowledge on the subject. Thanx jlake000

chevy front axles have the pumpkin on the passenger side.. so unless you were gona go to a D-300 T-case.. or buy an atlas... you'd better think Ford front axles...
another thing that goes along with the pumpkin being on the Passenger side is the Trac bar bracketry.. it definately can be done... but its a PITA....

the rear... 14 bolt.... most common axle found in chevys... bracketry is simple and easy enough to do... no different than any other rear end swap thats not a boltup... oh ya... if you do end up getting the 14 bolt... do the disc conversion... the drums on that damn thing are HEEEEAAAAAAVVVVVY...
the axle itself is heavy enough.. you dont want 40 lbs of drum on either side adding to it...

hope this helps some

witt said:
the rear... 14 bolt.... most common axle found in chevys.

hope this helps some
u sure about that statement?
I have owned 4 chevy 1/2 tons and never saw a rear axle bigger than a 12bolt

i meant 3/4 ton cheby's :laugh3:
on a second thought... Ooo
i forgot to read all of the title.... he did mention 1/2 ton...
then yeah... 12 bolt it is then..... whoops

1/2 ton diesel Z71 models had a semi float 14 bolt available, 6 lug pattern.

Lawn Cher' said:
1/2 ton diesel Z71 models had a semi float 14 bolt available, 6 lug pattern.

Where do I start with the spobi in this post?! LMAO :laugh3:

1/2 tons never came diesels, diesels never came z71, z71s never came with the SF 14 bolt, and I think thats it for now.

Half tons should have 10 bolts (usually) in the rear, unless Im thinking pre 87, then they came w/12bolts, the front could be 44 or 10 bolt...I think theres some requirements for that, not sure though. And the SF 14 bolt only came in LD 2500s (my truck)

witt said:
i meant 3/4 ton cheby's :laugh3:
on a second thought... Ooo
i forgot to read all of the title.... he did mention 1/2 ton...
then yeah... 12 bolt it is then..... whoops

3/4 ton chevys come w/14 bolts...

hjeepxj said:
Where do I start with the spobi in this post?! LMAO :laugh3:

1/2 tons never came diesels, diesels never came z71, z71s never came with the SF 14 bolt, and I think thats it for now.

Half tons should have 10 bolts (usually) in the rear, unless Im thinking pre 87, then they came w/12bolts, the front could be 44 or 10 bolt...I think theres some requirements for that, not sure though. And the SF 14 bolt only came in LD 2500s (my truck)

I beg to differ. The 6.5 turbodiesel was available in 1/2 ton trucks and 2-door Blazers/Tahoes/Yukons in a de-powered version, option code L56. The HO version in my K2500 Suburban is coded L65 for reference. The L56 has EGR and different ECM programming than the L65.

Lawn Cher' said:
I beg to differ. The 6.5 turbodiesel was available in 1/2 ton trucks and 2-door Blazers/Tahoes/Yukons in a de-powered version, option code L56. The HO version in my K2500 Suburban is coded L65 for reference. The L56 has EGR and different ECM programming than the L65.

Well, Ill have to see that to believe that. And what Generation (year span) of trucks are we talkin here?

You have been able to get a 1/2 ton chevy pickup/blazer/suburban with a 6.2 liter diesel in it from 1982 - 1992 that I know of for a FACT. You could get a 6.5 liter turbo diesel in 1/2 ton Chevy trucks and Suburbans.... and even still in the TAHOE/BlAZER ....from 1993 - 1998.

As for the 6-lug semi-floater....you didn't even have to have a diesel or a 4wheel drive to get that. Just a light-duty 2500 (6-lugger). They had it available in both 2(HD) and 4(LD) wheel drive models from 1988 to 1995 that I know of for a FACT as well. I buy and sell tons of Chevy's and this is knowledge I've acquired from first hand ownership experience.
Aron

Last edited:
hjeepxj said:
Well, Ill have to see that to believe that. And what Generation (year span) of trucks are we talkin here?

Here's one...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=TRUCKS&doors=&fuel=Diesel&lang=&cardist=787

And another...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=TRUCKS&doors=&fuel=Diesel&lang=&cardist=739

One more...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=TRUCKS&doors=&fuel=Diesel&lang=&cardist=391

Need I go on? All you gotta do is look for the holes in the front bumper to signify diesel inside (think Intel.) If the wheels are 6-lug and the rear end isn't obviously a 10-bolt from the 2 little points on either side of the bottom of the pumpkin, then it is a semi-floating 14-bolt. Consider yourself OWNED. Now, I will CPOGI (Continue Putting Out Good Information.)

Last edited:
there are plenty or examples of .5 ton diesels infact i was looking at a z71 with the 6.5 for my dd and tow vehicle because they tend to sell cheaper than the gas engines. chevy has always offered a version of the diesel though detuned in the half ton pickups, blazers and tahoes. infact the military used diesel blazers in the early 80's. also i can shoot ya a pick of a sf14 bolt in a half ton z71. my mom drives it and yes it is factory. the 14 sf bolt is avalible in 5lug (only put in the 454ss trucks) 6 lug (heavy suspension package 4x4 .5 ton and light duty 2wd and 4wd .75 tons) and even some heavy .75 and 1 ton trucks had this with 8 lugs. seem chevy scatters parts like jeeps. btw the sf14 bolt if you can find it should be very capible of handling up to 42in tires with a locker. it has i believe 31-33spline shafts the only weak link is the factory posi. that is from what i have been told on the posi part.

Thanx for the bit of info. As for the t case end of the project, i have the 1st generation np205 gear-drive t case i am planning on using with this project. Other than that I am wingen it. Still haven't figured out the whole steering situation either. Theres alot of things to try to figure out with this build. but never the less it otta be a fun if not frustrating time. Its the end play time in ti that I'm looken forward to. Thanx again jlake000

GDm! That is crazy, I consider myself pwned...

jlake000 said:
Thanx for the bit of info. As for the t case end of the project, i have the 1st generation np205 gear-drive t case i am planning on using with this project. Other than that I am wingen it. Still haven't figured out the whole steering situation either. Theres alot of things to try to figure out with this build. but never the less it otta be a fun if not frustrating time. Its the end play time in ti that I'm looken forward to. Thanx again jlake000

You could go front leaves and perhaps not even use a track bar. Steering should be pretty self explanatory. Basically Chevy everything: drivetrain, suspension, axles and wheels. Exhaust may be a problem but should be fairly simple to solve. Good luck!

Back