• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double radiators?

JJacobs

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm thinking about putting a V-8 in my MJ, and got to thinking about the cooling issue. It wouldn't be a big deal to put in another radiator crossmember and allow two radiators to be run in series. I'd leave a gap in between, and in that space run a crossover from one upper to the other lower rad spigots, possibly with elbows and a long heater core to help bridge the gap. Then two fans, one pushing, one pulling.

Feedback?

Not sure if that would work so well I would think that 90%+ of the air reaching the second radiator would be getting heated air from the front radiator, & unable to really cool anything, & may actually heat the cooled coolent up.

Rob $.02

I don't think that you want to do this, because as was stated, you will just heat up the coolant again somewhat. I have been running the 2-core radiator from a mid 90's ford taurus with-out much trouble, other than mounting it. it is large enough to keep my chevy 350 from even thinking about getting warm. Just to give an idea of cooling capicity, last year in the 90's temps. that we had here in ky., the fan still cycled about every 15-20 minutes, unlike the stock style XJ radiator/fan set-up which was just about constantly on. The radiator mounts alot like the early 4/6 cyl. XJ did (84-87).the only down side is the plastic tanks, but I have not had any trouble with it because I found a really nice one down at the j-yard that was all most new for $40.

JJacobs said:
So, I'm thinking about putting a V-8 in my MJ, and got to thinking about the cooling issue. It wouldn't be a big deal to put in another radiator crossmember and allow two radiators to be run in series. I'd leave a gap in between, and in that space run a crossover from one upper to the other lower rad spigots, possibly with elbows and a long heater core to help bridge the gap. Then two fans, one pushing, one pulling.

Feedback?

What about remote radiator? Think CORR or SCORE style.

Extra bling factor for having that "racey" look.

CRASH

Ren,
I'd really like to hear more about your Taurus radiator setup. I have a new 3 core and dual electric fans that I'm hoping will keep my V8 cool, but I want to have a backup plan!

Thanks,
Jay

Okay, the biggest problem I have had with this was finding a fan set-up that works. I ended up useing the fan that came withthe radiator, but you have to watch how you mount the rad. verticaly and side to side. you can get the fan motor to clear the block if you mount the rad. close to the grill when you make the brackets and mount them. watch the pulleys and remember to account for engine movement. do that you will be fine. I have had no problems with mine in about three years.

Jay, I forgot to say this, but the three core may not do the trick for the v-8. You may be happier with the 2 core radiators out there. Most of the two cores use one inch tubes, while most three cores use three-quarter inch tubes, and the last tube can't reject the full amount of heat from the coolant and the hot air passing it from to cores in front. If, and I htink you are, you are running a chevy, the taurus rad. has the necks correctly mounted already. Just use the upper hose for a truck and the lower for a van ( the curve is tighter).

Thanks for the tips. I am actually running a 5.0, which I hear are supposed to be a little easier to keep cool than a SBC, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. If it turns out that I need some more cooling, I may PM you with some more specific questions.

Thanks,
Jay

CRASH said:
What about remote radiator? Think CORR or SCORE style.

Extra bling factor for having that "racey" look.

CRASH

I've thought about that if an MJ buggy ever came to fruition out here

(mount the biggest alum rad/elec fans that would fit to underneath the down tubes of the rear cage...then plumb it forward to the motor, possibly with an electric waterpump)

The only thing I'd be concerned with is having a spray shield between it and the occupants...

you want big radiators, check a Heavy truck wrecking yard, or medium/heavy duty dealers. i can buy radiator her measuring in feet one was 3.5' wide and 5' tall. for under $200 last time i checked. I also found a new aluminum/plastic rad in a volvo dealership that had freight damage and had a cracked plastic tank. they only wanted $150 for it. so for the heck of it i asked the rad shop what it waould have cost to replace the tank, he told about $50-$75. this radiator core was about 3.5' wide and about 2.5' tall.

I am still kicking myself for not buying it.

Dingo

Back