• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Break in oil viscosity.

frsno jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have reccomendations on what oil i would want to use in the fresh motor?(4.7 stroker)
The weather here has been from 55-70 degrees and its gonna be getting hot soon.
I finger on changin the oil at 600 ang again at 1000 miles.
Ideas, thoughts?

Non-detergent straight 30 weight.

I could be wrong. But thats what I've read a few times. I think that the NON-detergent part of it is important, don't really remember why though...

Last edited:
Correct - 30 Non-Detergent. Well-stocked parst houses usually have the stuff.

You want the non-detergent oil simply because there's not as many detergents in it. What's a detergent? Soap. What does soap feel like? Slippery. Why don't you want this? Proper break-in requires a little extra friction, because you're making parts lap against each other and a little "self-clearancing" is taking place - especially at the rings. If you don't give the rings a chance to lap in, you'll lose compression and won't develop as much power.

Remember to make a lot of gradual speed changes during the first 500 miles, and don't "lug" the engine (too slow for the gear you're in.) The speed changes are important - frequent and smooth. Don't go sticking your foot into it for at least the first 1000 miles. The best time for break-in is at night - after evening drive time. Once the traffic dies down, you have more control over your actions.

Change the oil after 500 miles, and let it drain over a magnet. Fine metal particles are OK, large ones are not. CHANGE THE FILTER (it's dumb to say, but I've heard of people who don't!)

You may have to ask for ND30, but get it.

5-90

Yah - still ND30. It doesn't matter which pump you used, as long as everything's getting oil.

I'm going to assume you have some sort of oil pump priming rod? I used one for a SBChevvy (just remove the collar, which is usually retained with a roll pin.) Run for a minimum of one minute with your drill after you develop oil pressure, to ensure a good prime. If you don't get a prime, remove the oil pump and repack with light grease or Vaseline...

5-90

an aside, knew a HD engine builder in NJ, he'd literally submerge the new HD motor sans heads in machine oil then 'break it in' with an electric motor turning fairly slow for 24-50 hours.

Whenever I break one in...I like to use the oil that I plan on using for the life of the engine. Even if I plan on later switching it over to a full synthetic. Like if I was gonna use Valvoline, I'd use the non-detergent to break in the cam, then I'd use the standard oil until I got some more break-in miles/hours on it. I'd then switch over to the Valvoline Dura-blend, and I'd run that for awhile. Lastly, I'd make the switch over to the Valvoline Full Synthetic.

I have several distributor-driven oil pump shafts that I've extended and I use them chucked up in a drill to prime the engine before I ever start it up. I ALWAYS do that first and foremost. If the engine that I'm breaking-in doesn't have a good oil pressure gauge....I hook one of those up as well as a good temp gauge. These are the 2 most important things that I like to keep a very close eye on during break-in.

After you initially start the engine, you vary the rpm's for specific periods of time (minutes). This varies depending on the type of cam/head(s)/pistons you are going to be breaking in. I always drain the oil after this "cam break-in procedure"....which is a fairly short period of time.

I think there are MANY choices of good oils....but the important part, to me, is to ALWAYS run the same BRAND of oil that you started out with in your motor. Unless you experience some sort of a consumption problem with that particular brand of oil. Whatever you want to start with, is purely a preference issue, but I'd stay with whatever brand you started with for the duration.

Just about every mechanic that I've ever known has his own personal preferences, likes and dis-likes about this subject. It's really one of those "whatever works for you" things. Just like choosing your brand of motor oil is.
Aron

Back