• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My next mod should be........?

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... I've had the Cherokee for 6 months now... 97 4.0 I6 AW4 231 no lift 235/75/15s... got the tow points & skids out of the way... got JKS quicker discos... been off-roading a few places and can't get enough!

I'm thinking about my next mod and I'm debating between a small lift (nothing too crazy as this is a daily driver) or possibly a locker or.....? What would give me the most bang for the buck as far as further mods. I don't care about looks, I want performance so if a locker will take me more places than a lift, that's cool with me. Let's say I have $500 to spend.

Last edited:
I'd definately say a locker. I thought my Cherokee was tough until I put a locker in, I didn't realize how crappy a vehicle can be without one! I'd recommend a Lock-Rite, cheap locker and it kicks butt. You could probably put a BB on there too with the money left over.

IdeaMan said:
Ok... I've had the Cherokee for 6 months now... 97 6.0 AW4 231 no lift 235/75/15s... got the tow points & skids out of the way... got JKS quicker discos... been off-roading a few places and can't get enough!

I'm thinking about my next mod and I'm debating between a small lift (nothing too crazy as this is a daily driver) or possibly a locker or.....? What would give me the most bang for the buck as far as further mods. I don't care about looks, I want performance so if a locker will take me more places than a lift, that's cool with me. Let's say I have $500 to spend.
lock the front

if you swap an axle - it will be the rear end (unless you get crazy) and you will have to buy a new locker...

and the D35 is notoriously weak - so locking it = not good...

::shrug::
if i were starting stock again - that is what i would do...

$500 huh? wish i had that. if i had it to do i'd go with the locker, i went with the 4.5 lift first and though i dont regret my decision i really wish i had a locker. i can get out there and play around a little but the moment i drastically unweight one side of the axles i lose the battle. which hampers my ability to really put that 4.5 inch lift to the test.just my .02...HTH
CPl Maier

XJ_ranger said:
lock the front

if you swap an axle - it will be the rear end (unless you get crazy) and you will have to buy a new locker...

and the D35 is notoriously weak - so locking it = not good...

::shrug::
if i were starting stock again - that is what i would do...
x2

For the price, a locker can help you get to far more places than a cheap lift. And the other good thing about a locker up front is that when you're in 2 wheel it won't really affect your DD's ride or handling.

nhrocker said:
For the price, a locker can help you get to far more places than a cheap lift. And the other good thing about a locker up front is that when you're in 2 wheel it won't really affect your DD's ride or handling.

Does a locker in front make it hard to turn while I'm in 4WD?

i'd reccomend the aussie locker... rather than the lock rite

i just put one in my jeep.. and it beats the heck outta the improvement in performance i got from the lift.. and at $230 a pop.. you cant beat it..

smoother operation than a lock-rite also

for $500 bucks you might swing a budget boost and some cheap 30x9.5 mud tires. Then later if you have an 8.25 rear end , lock it up. You still have 235 street tires! IMHO I would say go with the mud tires, or all terains at least. You'll be surprised at the difference it will make compared to the tires you have now.

snow drifter said:
for $500 bucks you might swing a budget boost and some cheap 30x9.5 mud tires. Then later if you have an 8.25 rear end , lock it up. You still have 235 street tires! IMHO I would say go with the mud tires, or all terains at least. You'll be surprised at the difference it will make compared to the tires you have now.

My 235/75/15s are AT's with a fairly aggressive tread pattern and have worked suprisingly well! I have the D35 in back. I don't know that I ever want tires so big that I need to regear so I don't know if this is a huge deal or not.

i'd also reccomend trimming and a budget boost.. you could easily fi 31's or 32's with bumpstopping...

and a locker in the rear.. lock-rite *

i wish i would have taken that route....

$39 for BD cutter $5 for extra cutting wheels. Cutting fenders Free. Still enough to Get the locker and scrap together another couple hunder and you got the 31's. and a great wheeler.

trimming was something i wish i had done a while back.. started the lift smaller and locked the rear axle...

open diffs held me back so much off-road that my friend in a stock TJ with 30"BFG AT's with a rear track lock could go places my rig with 31" BFG at's and RE 4.5 SF lift couldnt go..

kinda pissed me off

I'm in the same situation. I have a 2" lift, diff skid, shocks and I'm now looking for the next step. All this talk about bigger tires is really frustating. I have new stock size tires and don't really want to replace them. It just seems like I'm throwing money out the window. And really, does a 2-3" in tire diameter really make THAT big of a difference?

I think I'm going with a locker next. I kind of like the idea of locking the front. I never would of thought of locking the front and not the rear and that way DD in 2wd would remain the same. Hmmmm.

ok well bigger tire will help you with clearance issues "ruts"

lockers will help with traction.. seen guys with lockers in rubicons 31" MTR's get stuck on stuff a guy can do open with 33's

just a matter of where and how you wheel..

for me.. lockers would have been a better choice

theres a bunch of dirt cheap stuff out there you can do, like a switch you can make to hold your tranny in 2nd gear when wheeling, bolt-on tranny cooler, make your own intake, etc. so you have "the bug". since it is your DD, i would do small stuff like this while saving up for bigger stuff, like tires, lift, etc.the more time you spend working on it, the more you will learn about it. consider a ford 8.8 rear axle swap. it is a fun, relatively easy and cheap project that has many advantages including NOT having to worry about the crappy 35 disabling your DD, and would be a solid platform for all sorts of suspension stuff:)

I lifted mine first... I should have done it after the locker. If you are not planing on going with too big of tires I would put a lock rite in the rear and a buddy lift. Then start saving for some MT's. Just drive easy w/ the 35 locked!

Also what trail do you want to go on? I know for ex. Swamp Lk. is a 3" lift and 31's I would consider a minimum. You could get through the trail with a locker, but you would need some serious undercariage protection. OEM skids will not last and your frame rails will be pretty banged up. You also have to consider your LCA mounts and rear shock mount with small tires. They will catch everything and it they are not reinforced they may break and you'll be stuck deep in the wilderness.

Just some food for thought. ;)

Back