• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 shock mounts? Re-locating

AZ DESERT RAT

NAXJA Forum User
OK...while I have my rear axle torn apart, I was thinking about moving the rear shock mounts up higher. Does anyone kow if someone make a new bracket that you can weld on or do you have to cut and re-shape the old ones?

NAPA has a weld-on shock mount, I believe there are also occasional recommendations to use trailer perches and cut them in half although I admit I don't recall the details on that one. M.O.R.E. and RE are supposed to have them as well.

I may be wrong, but the ones I saw on the RE site are standard mounts(I thought) I am looking for ones that are already cut or machined to be up higher? I think the ones for a 44 will work...roughly the same size axle tube right?

here are the mounts im making for my ford 9"

ignore the other pics

that is part of the shots for the axle swap...

The gusset goes in the direction of the torsional load - in line with the shock - and there is a washer that will be welded to the top of the gusset and the bolt.

Bolts are 5/8" bolts Grade 5 (easier to weld than grade 8)
Corse thread

Iron is 1/8" stock
would have gone with 3/16 - but none in stock at hardware store...

should be ok...

will be mounted about 1/2" up from the bottom of the axle tube...

like this:

http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/D4-ford9-swap/Day%206/index.htm

I just cut 2" out of my mounts and rewelded them back on.

Crawltech
has these for 15 bucks a pop.but they keep the shock mounted the right way .

shockmount-lrg.jpg

you could make it yourself really

I concidered making them myself, but I have no fabrication tools/experience. Thanks for the links, I'm sure I can find something that will work...thanks again..

just use a bolt that fits tightly thru the shock and weld it to the tub works fine and they are only $00.40 much cheeper than more or any other company that makes them and they work just as good.

67TEMP said:
JKS also makes a set.
JKS ones are real nice but if you buy them from JKS they're rather expensive. Anyways, visit the vendors forum and one of the most recently advertised vendors sells them at a lot better price (don't remember which one it was though)

just use your stock ones come on over to my place and look at mine you just have to trim them up to get what ya want...
themud
just pm me if you want..

Back