• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter lifetime?

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
I've been troubleshooting an overheating AW4 transmission on my rig for a couple weeks now. It overheats when under load or going up steep hills. Everything electrical seems OK includeing the brake TC lock-up switch.

So im thinking that my torque converter may be slipping even when its suppossed to be locked creating excess heat. Do torque converters fail this way, my has 145K miles on it. Also what else in the trans could cause the fluid to overheat.

Is your tranny fluid clean.....bc your tranny fluid lubricates as well as acts as a cooling fluid. If its bad it will cause the tranny to get warmer and eventually cause the tranny to fail.

pete

jeepsrock said:
Is your tranny fluid clean.....bc your tranny fluid lubricates as well as acts as a cooling fluid. If its bad it will cause the tranny to get warmer and eventually cause the tranny to fail.

pete

Fluid is clean and flushed with Dexron III non-synthetc and I installed a external tranny cooler up front bypassing the radiator. I had a thread about all those things last week. The only things left to check are instide the tranny / torque converter.

I ended up swapping in another trans and getting a larger cooler. I guess my AW4 was to far gone. All the seals must have been hardened and plates glazed up.

Back