• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire weight

Paul S

NAXJA Member #103
With all the talk of 35's or 37's being the Max. reliable tire size for D30's/D44's, I thought others might find my findings interesting; probably not, but I did :)

315/75 R16 (35X12.50) MT/R on MT wheel W/ Champion beadlock = 85lbs.
37X12.50 R17 MT/R on MT wheel W/Champion beadlock = 111lbs.

Paul

David Taylor said:
Wow 104 pounds more for a set. I need to start finding stuff in the jeep to do without.

130lbs including a spare!!! Seriously, I need to take another look at what I can do without if I'm going to run 37's.

I'll post the weight of a 37X12.50 R15 MT/R in a day or two. There may be a difference between the different load ratings.

Paul

35x12.50r15 MTR, 70% tread, on 15x10 steel wheel with 5 golf-balls inside = 92 pounds

same MTR unmounted = 57 pounds (therefore 15x10 steel wheel = 35)

33x12.50r15 BFG LongTrail (very similar to AT) on 15x8 steel wheel = 69 pounds

Paul S said:
Seriously, I need to take another look at what I can do without if I'm going to run 37's.

Paul

Paul, I have an idea, how about getting rid of the driver!

You're about 130 aren't you?

Just walk beside it and steer it from there. You don't need the throttle with a stick!

:D

hinkley

A few numbers
front axle shaft with u-joint short side 12
long side 19

spare steering 13.5
spare drive shaft 18
sun visor(set) 3
mastercraft seat with base 37

I'm looking into shaving weight from the tool box. I have to many tools with me.

Last edited:
This is why I'm trying to loose weight, If I just go without food the next three weeks, my jeep will be able to handle the added weight of bigger tires. This will also save me hundreds of dollars (I eat alot) and buying those new tires will be a sinch!!

IndyXJ said:
It'd be cool if someone had a stock tire laying around on the rim to weigh that as well. Thanks Paul! :wave:

205/75 R15 Polaris All Season
Stock Steel Rims
-------------------------------
= 40lbs even

Currently Ive got BFG 30x9 I'll give them a weigh in tomorrow (although you guys are probably more interested in the bigger tires)

TORX

How heavy are the 17" Champion beadlocks? Walker Evans are something like 45 lbs. each. :scared: Those are some heavy rollers!

I know both come into play here , but doesn't the larger diameter/leverage have more of an effect on breaking axles compared to the actual weight of the wheel/tire?

XJZ said:
How heavy are the 17" Champion beadlocks? Walker Evans are something like 45 lbs. each. :scared: Those are some heavy rollers!

I know both come into play here , but doesn't the larger diameter/leverage have more of an effect on breaking axles compared to the actual weight of the wheel/tire?
both will apply. the larger the radius, the more leverage it will have on the shafts. kinda like having a 37" cheater bar vs. a 35" cheater bar.

I understand that, I'm just assuming that of the two factors involved, the tires diameter has more to do with axles snapping then the wheel/tires weight.

BrettM said:
internal balance. some people use BBs, or Equal, I'm having pretty good luck with golf-balls.

Tried Equal, but it clumps if you air up and down often.
Do the golf balls take a bit to get the tire balanced? With the Equal, I found that the tire would shake briefly until everything evened out.

And 32-10.5 TSL radials 50% and heavily grooved on a 15x8 OEM 5 hole weigh 60lbs. My spare w/ @1000 miles weighs 70lbs.

And I'll revive that other thread.

explorer said:
Tried Equal, but it clumps if you air up and down often.
Do the golf balls take a bit to get the tire balanced? With the Equal, I found that the tire would shake briefly until everything evened out.

And 32-10.5 TSL radials 50% and heavily grooved on a 15x8 OEM 5 hole weigh 60lbs. My spare w/ @1000 miles weighs 70lbs.

And I'll revive that other thread.
i heard what i think is a really good idea the other day, but it might get expensive, I haven't checked prices. Airsoft pellets!

Back