• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up or Down??

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
When trying to re-center my front axle with my adj trackbar, is it easier/better to do it on the ground, or front raised??

YES, I did search but no one really covered specifically.

do it while on the ground, with normal weight on the front wheels

measure the relation of the body to tires on each side to make sure it is centered

if you need it to move a little to one side or the other, turing the steering wheel a little with the track bar disconnnected will help do that for you

Down,
Then just get your heaviest best buddy to lean on the fenders as needed.

I'm assuming that lengthening would move it toward the passenger side, shortening toward the drivers side? I'm also assuming, I have to remove it from the bracket to adjust as I have the RE1600 with the heim joint?

Hey I'm a noob and I don't want to fawk this up!

Rocketman said:
I'm assuming that lengthening would move it toward the passenger side, shortening toward the drivers side?
You do know what they say about ASSuming, right? You are correct though. :D

It's relatively easy to do; leave the trackbar unconnected and set the Jeep on the ground. It really helps to have level ground and similar air pressure in all tires, too. Turn the steering wheel side-to-side a few times and you'll definitely notice the hoodline moving in ways you normally don't like to see...it may also help to have that big friend bounce the bumper a few times to move things around. What you're doing at this point is making sure that the axle is fee to move about under the Jeep before pinning it in place.

Center the axle under the Jeep, using flares and straight body panels for reference if they're available at all. The steering wheel is probably going to be pointed to the side a bit - don't worry about that. Once the axle is in the right place, adjust the length of the trackbar accordingly to fit it in place. Torque to spec, align the Jeep, and have a nice day...

Yucca-Man said:
You do know what they say about ASSuming, right? You are correct though. :D

It's relatively easy to do; leave the trackbar unconnected and set the Jeep on the ground. It really helps to have level ground and similar air pressure in all tires, too. Turn the steering wheel side-to-side a few times and you'll definitely notice the hoodline moving in ways you normally don't like to see...it may also help to have that big friend bounce the bumper a few times to move things around. What you're doing at this point is making sure that the axle is fee to move about under the Jeep before pinning it in place.

Center the axle under the Jeep, using flares and straight body panels for reference if they're available at all. The steering wheel is probably going to be pointed to the side a bit - don't worry about that. Once the axle is in the right place, adjust the length of the trackbar accordingly to fit it in place. Torque to spec, align the Jeep, and have a nice day...

actually then you will be looking at recentering your steering wheel by adjusting the draglink to make up for the adjustment you just made on teh trackbar, but this is normal and something we all have to do.

THEN you can have a nice day :D

See that part where I mention the alignment after finishing up? Adjusting the draglink straightens the wheel.

Back