• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crack

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
I own a 95 xj w\ the 4.0 HO and found a crack on the header yesterday and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? the crack is toward the bottom of the header where it goes from 2 to 1, it's about 1 1/2 inches long but not real wide. also should i replace it w\ an oem or a stainless steel header like banks, gibson, borla, or hedman? give me some input it's greatly appreciated.

It's pretty common thing from what I read.

Search up those brand names. Lots of comments about 'em.

I read (somewhere) that some of the aftermarket headers are a bit larger and at extreme flex you can bump 'em with the axle. But that was just a passing comment in some discussion.

Had the same problem. It's very common. A quick and inexpensive way of fixing it is to have it welded. It may only postpone the inevitable which is to replace it, but could get you some mileage until then.

If you choose to replace it, I've heard Mopar has improved on the original by making it from a thicker gauge steel.

Go with an aftermarket, they are acctually cheaper than getting a new one from the stealership, and offer a performance boost.

I think what wescam was refering to was the tendancy of the downpipe to get crushed by the driveshaft at full compression.

After putting up with the noise for well over a year, I welded mine up in at least two different places. Turned out to be only a two beer job and for the cost of a gasket and a small amout of weld wire, it's still holding up and quiet with 25,000+ miles on the repair(knock on wood).

thanks for the input guys i'll probably wind up repairing mine temporarally until i have the money for a stainless

a 2 beer job?
Sounds like fun, did you take the intake and everything apart or did you get the welder in there without removing evertything. I have a crack too, but I keep putting it off, now that its warm again time to order it up.

XJsqared said:
a 2 beer job?
Sounds like fun, did you take the intake and everything apart or did you get the welder in there without removing evertything. I have a crack too, but I keep putting it off, now that its warm again time to order it up.
one of my tubes was cracked almost all the way around, so after taking off the intake, I tack welded the tube to keep it in alignment. Then I removed the exhasut manifold and welded up the cracks on the bench.

I think mine is about half way around the tube closest to the block

Back