• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS Quicker Disconnect Install Q

Codhead

NAXJA Forum User
Will I need a torx tool to help get the stock lower swaybar link mounts out? If so, what size? (I have an air hammer with pickle fork for the heavy lifting).

I didn't need one.

BTW they are not threaded in there, they are pressed in.

I used heat on the tab and knocked the bolt out with a hammer but I bent the tab slightly. I think c-clamp would work to force it out better. You might still need the heat though.

HTH

you do not need any type of puller to get the bolt out. It is only pressed in and the fit is not extreamly tight one side of mine spun and I did need a torx I dont remember the size, but 45 looks about right. For the side that did not spin all I did was give it a light tap with a 16oz ball peen hammer and it came right out. If they are rusted in good, just get a bigger hammer, they are not splined either there are marks but thoes are just for a better fit. If the axle tab bends a bit just hammer it back straight.

I had no idea some people had that hard of a time getting these out. Everything else on my xj is rusted in and a pita to work on. When I put my lift on I had problems with almost all the bolts, but my lower sway bar bolts came out just fine. I guess I finnaly got lucky with a couple bolts, I hate michigan rust and corrosion.

having installed JKS discos on many a customers' rigs, I have had those that just fall out by themselves, and those that took a torch and a gear puller to break free. This question on removing those links comes up a lot, and I don't like beating things with a hammer for half and hour and only manage to bend and mangle the mount and never move the bolt, so I did this writeup to help those with the frozen bolts, and in about the same amount of time it takes to beat the bolts out with a hammer, this can be done without breaking a sweat, and you don't have to bend the mounts back when you are done.

roke40 said:
Pitman arm pullers are supposed to work well also.

That's what I used. I cut the bolt in half with a Dremel so it was short enough to use the puller and then it came out very easy. The key is cutting the bolt nice and straight so the puller doesn't try and slide off on ya.

GottaBeJeep said:
having installed JKS discos on many a customers' rigs, I have had those that just fall out by themselves, and those that took a torch and a gear puller to break free. This question on removing those links comes up a lot, and I don't like beating things with a hammer for half and hour and only manage to bend and mangle the mount and never move the bolt, so I did this writeup to help those with the frozen bolts, and in about the same amount of time it takes to beat the bolts out with a hammer, this can be done without breaking a sweat, and you don't have to bend the mounts back when you are done.

Well, I really appreciate the write-up. I just got back from the local autoparts store with my puller. Who knows, I may not need it, but if I need it, I've got it. Great information.

Back