• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf eye to eye not correct help

KarmirXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My problem is, I ordered 8" leafs for my XJ from Alcan springs.
(8" with 400lb gear, 250 being tirecarrier/tire) anyway springs came and they measure eye to eye 48" now my stock springs measure exactally 50" i put the new springs in with my 1/2 shackle and the shackle is like almost at a 45* inward angle? is this supose to happen with new springs?

Im worried Ill probably call alcan tomarrow and see what he sais, then again I really dont trust asking manufactures cuz there mos likely going to feed you whatever BS they can to make you keep there stuff. ( generalizing here :D )

P.S its a 6 leaf pack if that helps

Bt "inward" I assume you mean that the shackle points toward the front of the vehicle (spring eye is now forward of the chassis attaching point for the shackle)? What happens is that when the spring compresses, the arch flattens out and the eye moves toward the rear.

Ideally, with an arched spring (not a flat spring like a stock XJ spring) the shackle should point straight up and down. This allows it to swing to the rear on compression, and swing to the front on droop. With new springs, however, they probably need some time to settle into a final configuration. I think it may be a little early to press the panic button. Drive on them for a week or two, flex them up a little, and see if they settle in a bit.

Ones I put on an XJ were the same way when I first put them on. After a few days they flattened out to an angle that is the same as my RE springs. Didn't even drive on them. The XJ is still sitting as I'm not done with the vortec 6.0 conversion. Give a few and see what happens.

Dan

Back