• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper rails have notches?

Spanky414

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy of mine is having some brake problems. I've done a search but just wanted some additional feedback. Its a 91 btw.

His passenger side front brake caliper is locking on, well maybe not LOCKING but staying really tight so even after he lets off the brake it doesn't let the wheel spin very well at all, its bad enough that it has smoked and smelled really burnt, also the hub part of the rotor is a bit blued from the heat.

We are thinking of changing the caliper but the piston and the slides seem to be working just fine, whats bugging me is there is a couple grooves or notches in the slides on the knuckle that the pads slide on, as far as I can tell they arn't supposed to be there (and people have mentioned it in other threads).

So can you just weld them up and file them smooth again? He is a welder and says that since the knuckle is cast he is worried they might crack after welding. I'm thinking a light shot with the small mig wouldn't get it that hot but what do I know.

Weld away.
Same problem on my 96,a couple spots with the wire feed and grind down smooth and your good to go.
Wayne

I am having same problem on the rear of my Grand. I welded them with a mig and ground them flush. The casting is very very soft. I'm still not sure that that the groove was the root cause or the effect of a slightly sticking caliper. Check for warped rotors also.

Same issue here last year. Pulled them off and had them welded. The cause is not reinstalling the anti-rattle springs I think they're called. They are those annoying spring wire shapes that go on the ends of the pads where they interface with the knuckle. They are a minor PIA to install so I think the Midas boys etc. just don't put them back on when charging you big bucks for a brake job. I got new ones at Auto Zone I think. While you're at it you might as well replace alll of the brake hardware. Come to think of it I think the springs and all came in a hardware kit.
Oh yeah, and this was causing clunking noises and a stuck caliper which caused the pads to wear at an angle and the rotor to be destroyed.

I welded them on my Wrangler about 7yrs/50k with oxy/acetaline and they still look (wear wise)& work good.

Yup, weld them up... It occurs on a lot of DC vehilces (Neon, Durango, Jeep's) Just don't over do it - it's no fun to grind down a lot....

Will.

Back