• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rearend clunk

burl4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Hi you guys. I am new to these xj's and was wondering why the rear end in my 99 is kinda funky. Some times when I take off from a standing start the rear end feels like it slips and then grabs all of the sudden. Have checked the u joints and there is no clankin. It feels like axel wrap but with a solid jolt when it grabs. This is to strange. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks Burl

Your slip splines are sticking. Pull the driveshaft and lube the transfer case and driveshaft splines with some anti-seize compound. I found it works better than regular grease.

Block the wheels, put it in neutral, grab the differential yoke and pull-push it fore and aft. There should be no play. If there is (like mine did) your pinion bearings are toast.

What if your able to turn the drive shaft a little? Is it just normal play?

robz95xj said:
What if your able to turn the drive shaft a little? Is it just normal play?

A little is fine, it is gear backlash. It is about .008" between the gears, however, it seems a lot more when you rotate the yoke.
No problem.

Back