• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

See thru doors ,Being dumb

Dingo509

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone cut up a stock set of doors and inserted lexan so you can see thru them but still have the security while in town. or maybe bolt lexan to a set of tube doors.

Im bored tonight so I've been thinking.
See what happens when i do that.

Dingo

I thought of that but I tend to lean my head out so I can get a better angle. Plexi floorboards might be cool.

How about some of those mirrors that they put on school busses so they can see where their tire is. Would look dorky but sure would help if you don't have a spotter.

I would lean towards 1/2 doors a little more, but good thought. CJs should be the only ones with these. My brother-in-law has a 78' CJ7 with clear lower 1/2 doors. It helps a bit. I just take off the doors totally on it when I wheel it though. The Xj door might be alot harder though. Worth a try if you can get some doors cheap to try it on.

Dingo509 said:
Has anyone cut up a stock set of doors and inserted lexan...

Hmm... Sounds vaguely iMac-ish. Go the whole hog and do the iXJ :laugh3:

Seriously, it sounds kinda nifty to me, but would probably be pretty damned hot in summer.

casm said:
Seriously, it sounds kinda nifty to me, but would probably be pretty damned hot in summer.

I thought about that too. (there i go thinking again) But as I still have my a/c hooked up that might make it bearable at least to and from the trails.

Dingo

What if you cut out the doors but instead of Lexan, you took the doors to a boat shop & had a set of snap in clear inserts made? If the weather got too warm, just unsnap and rolll them up and stow them away. Have another set made with No See Um Screen to keep the bugs out

MistWolf said:
What if you cut out the doors but instead of Lexan, you took the doors to a boat shop & had a set of snap in clear inserts made? If the weather got too warm, just unsnap and rolll them up and stow them away. Have another set made with No See Um Screen to keep the bugs out

I was more or less worried about security but i like your idea too. it would sure the beat the "freeze with no doors but with good visibility VS. the opposite" dilema

Dingo

old_man said:
Plexi floorboards might be cool.
I saw a sami like that once. It was orange with dual swampers front and rear. Looked kinda cool, but I did like the clear floorboards. Actually, it was the kicker panel?, not the flat floor, but the angled part that was clean, then you could see where the tire was, not the ground thats under your butt.

Shoot, while your at it, make a glass bottomed XJ. :laugh3:

I saw that same Sami passing through Sacto on its way to Oregon a few years ago. It had some kewl ideas.
Billy

Starboard M said:
I saw a sami like that once. It was orange with dual swampers front and rear. Looked kinda cool, but I did like the clear floorboards. Actually, it was the kicker panel?, not the flat floor, but the angled part that was clean, then you could see where the tire was, not the ground thats under your butt.

Starboard M said:

I am actually working on how to modify the dash enough to install a 10" LCD monitor so i can run cameras on the axle to see where im going.

That's why i want the security of lexan.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
I am actually working on how to modify the dash enough to install a 10" LCD monitor so i can run cameras on the axle to see where im going.

To me the whole reasom for half doors is to see where your putting your tires. If your going to CC TV then why cut the doors?

holycross.JPG

Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
To me the whole reasom for half doors is to see where your putting your tires. If your going to CC TV then why cut the doors?

Daryl

Kinda like i said originally "Being dumb" I just wanted to see if anyone had thought of this yet and maybe tried it. Beside's my doors are screwed but i have a nice set of spare doors in the backyard. So i was just looking for something to do with the screwed doors that would still give me some security yet better vision. AS far as the CC TV goes i still can't see the side of the Jeep whith those it would just be axles and rear mainly. I frequently wheel alone, well no spotter, so being able to see thru the passenger door to see trees, rocks, etc. would be benifecial.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
Kinda like i said originally "Being dumb" I just wanted to see if anyone had thought of this yet and maybe tried it. Beside's my doors are screwed but i have a nice set of spare doors in the backyard. So i was just looking for something to do with the screwed doors that would still give me some security yet better vision. AS far as the CC TV goes i still can't see the side of the Jeep whith those it would just be axles and rear mainly. I frequently wheel alone, well no spotter, so being able to see thru the passenger door to see trees, rocks, etc. would be benifecial.

Dingo

That's true that you still wouldn't see as much, unless you got a remote control on the camara.

I'm going to put in an alarm with a radar motion senser. Like an Alpine 8040 that I used to have. But then again I live in a low crime area, and only have the half doors on when wheeling or running short errends. Mine's not a DD.

Good luck

Daryl

Back