• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Trackbar, Bad!

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
So the ball joint at the frame side of my trackbar decided it wanted to crap out on me on the freeway back from a run on Sunday, so I guess I need to teach it a lesson by replacing it!

Anyway, what do I do? I've looked in the FSM and don't see mention of replacing just the joint, do they expect you to replace the whole bar? Is there a source for the joints, I'd assume that I have to have it pressed in if that happens (And I don't have a press...).

Thanks guys.

I'm running an '89 with 3" on it.

Okay, got a question here. I've come across a good used OEM 'bar and I'm gonna put it on until I can afford an adjustable one. Anyway, that nut and cotter pin are a pain to get to so...

Am I correct in thinking that the easiest way to get a torque wrench on that nut, and a cotter pin on, is to remove the trackbar mount on the frame, run the nut on, then put the whole assembely on? Forgive me, I haven't even looked at it yet, I was just sitting here at my desk thinking about how I'm going to do this.

Thanks,
Sequoia

You don't need a torque wrench. It's a tie rod end style fitting, even if you can't unscrew the "end." The stud is tapered and you just crank on it 'til it's "goot-n-tite" (as Lawn 'Cher so aptly expresses it). Then crank just a hair more to line up the cotter pin.

Hey Sequoia,

Its fairly easy to do... Dont waist your money on another stock part upgrade it......Perfect time for a adjustable track bar.

Robert:anon:

I have seen a replacement joint for said trackbar. I think I'd go with the majority on this one and get the adjustable one! I replaced mine with 00xj's after we did his lift and new bar now I find out that my bracket is bad and I need to get another one of those!! Jeep= just empty every pocket! :D

George, my 89 had the same prob a couple of years ago and the majority of it was the frame bracket and not the bar itself. I replaced the bar first only to find that it "somewhat" cured the problem but after replacing the bracket as well, it was fixed. The ballstud hole in the bracket tends to become enlarged and although the castle nut seems tight, it will loosen again in a few miles. Check 'em both!
J.R.

Back