• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need serious rust help

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 xj and i have loaded it with just about everythign i want. if you have seen my psot under the picture showcase you will see what i have done to it.

i have a semi long list of repairs i ned to make which include rust repair. the list goes as follows.

broken and need to be fixed:

a/c

cruise cntl

backup lights

completely rotted away rocker pannels

rear defroster

transfer case needs a chain and some other stuff

play in rear diff

floor pan rust and its gettign worse

plus any mods i am working on.

what i am asking is how do i fix rust in to floor pan that is not on a level or flat surface? i cannot weld yet but i might be able to find someone who can or take classes and buy a welder.

i have a little rust in the drivers side rear floor area, pass side rear to middle floor area, surface rust where cargo area carpet used to be, NO rocker pannels( am planning on fixing with 2"x6" steel) and rustholes along the bend in the front of the rear wheel wells at the pinch seam.

i have no problem with flat places but what can i do aobut areas that are around the inside of the rocker pannels and hard to shape places like under teh rear seat in front of the wheel wells( right around the new seat belt bolts i just installed)

my problem is do i keep tryign to fix the rust hold that are appearing all the time or do i start over and give up everything i have done? i could try and find a GOOD non rusted body and basically rebuild that with my parts. i have put in so much effort in to this thing i just done want to part with it and start over b/c i want everything that is on or in it.

is it possible to buy pre molded floor pannels for the xj or b/c its unibody can that not be done?

what do i do?

i just installe dmy lift last summer, swing away tire carrier and i just finished installing a Novak shifter as well as everythign else i have done.

i will post pics later

it sounds like you have a fair amount of rust, but you can buy premolded rocker panels and floor panels from a dealship, then just weld them in, but personally id be keeping an eye open for an xj with little or no rust to swap everything over to, especially since XJ's are a dime a dozen.

catyrpelius said:
it sounds like you have a fair amount of rust, but you can buy premolded rocker panels and floor panels from a dealship, then just weld them in, but personally id be keeping an eye open for an xj with little or no rust to swap everything over to, especially since XJ's are a dime a dozen.
well said. but it might be hard to find a rust free XJ up north, but I have heard rumors that they do exist. Then again, cat, you should know about finding rust free xj's up there. get some pictures up. I hate rust, I sold my fj40 because I got tired of fighting rust. good luck

I am in the same boat xtrememtbiker. I have pulled the entire floor from the rear cargo area and under the rear seat on both sides of the driveshaft hump. Since the cargo area is about a foot above the rear seat area I just bent sheetmetal over my knee. Remember that the panels do not have to be exact duplicates of the original panels. You can square off things that used to be round. I was lucky that the front floor pans (under front pass and driver) are in relativly good shape and also the trans/ driveshaft hump. But If I had to replace them I would have made everything angular instead of the nice round stamped peices. I will attach a few links I have found helpful. I am also in the process of getting my pictures up so maybe I can post them in a week or so.

http://members.shaw.ca/Jeep.XJ/
http://www.wetpaintfilms.com/heep2jeep/
http://www.jeep-tech-tips.com/por-15.html

katarn

thanks all that info is very helpful. what i am planning on doing is removing all my carpet this summer and finding as much damage as possible. from there i will decide if i will buy sheet metal or pre molded metal and have a freind held me weld it in or find a price on a southern 4dr xj (94- 96) to swap my interior and all my mods over too. that may turn out to be the best plan simply because i cant weld and if i get a rust free xj i can basically ahve a new vehicle to drive for a few more years.

POR-15 doesn't actually stop rust? my floor isn't as bad as the one on the site above, but i have a lot of rust on the passenger side.

Back