• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mid-wrenching, need help!

XJdePlato

NAXJA Forum User
Once upon a time my XJ just didn't start. Its a 92' 4x4 auto and I think its either the CPS or the computer itself(from what little I know about this EFI stuff). Anyways I figured I would try to replace the CPS before putting down the cash for a Computer. So here I am, greasy , irritated and unable to remove the old CPS. Is there a special tool I need? I just can't seem to get either a wrench or a socket back there to remove the 2 bolts attaching it to the bell housing. I'm not the most proficient mechanic so please don't give me too much crap about having to ask how to do this. Thanks to everyone who responds to this post, its very apreciated.

The FSM (for an 01) does not call out any special tools to remove the Crank Shaft Position Sensor (CKP)
All it says is ' Depending upon the application, remove wither the sensor mounting bolt(s) or nuts. Remove the sensor.'
It does say upon re-installation to use only the original bolts as they are specific to correctly space the unit to the flywheel. Not specific as in which can out of what spot but not to use different mounting bolts.
Sorry. Might just have to stare at it a bit to choose the right tool.

thanks bro, that helped a lot. hey you have a 91', how do you access codes on an OBD 1? Can I buy a reader at HArbor Freight tools that will read and clear for cheap? Thanks again.

if u do have to change out the computer have a buddy with a similar year xj and just swap his in to make sure that it fixes everything before u drop the cash...

Codes on a 91 are accessable only through a very expensive scanner such as from snap-on. I've been in contact with Renix trying to get the info to access the computer from the serial port, but no luck or time yet.

XJdePlato, I cut an access hole in the firewall to be able to reach the CPS bolts on mine. You may not want to do this, but it works as a last resort.....

I used a drill to start the hole, and a hacksaw blade to cut a flap out on three sides. Then bend the flap over and if your measurments are correct, the CPS will be directly in front of the hole. When finished, bend the flap back up, and seal with silicone or body seam sealer.

Long extension, a universal joint and patience.

I just reached down under the intake manifold (air tube, no box) and used an 11mm wrench. It was tight but effective.

Some have reported that removing the tranny mount crossmember and lowering the assembly a few inches with a jack helps. I've never replaced a CPS yet either but the connector is/was a POS and needed removal.

Yeah I don't have an air box, just a rusty tube w/K&N cone.I'm going to head on down to harbor freight and pick up socket extentions and swivels and all that good stuff. Since I have 2 pre-96' jeeps(XJ&YJ) I might splurge someday and get the diagnostic reader but I just don't have the cash right now. Thanks for all your help.I'm going to try again tomorrow and I will tell you guys how it went.

I replaced the CPS on my '91 a few months ago, and I'll agree, it is in a bit of an awkward place. I used a screwdriver with a flexible shaft. Not sure where I got it, but I had it layin around in the garage. Just put the socket in it and cranked it for all I was worth. Just be careful using sockets up in there, because they can drop into the housing from a few big holes on the top. Have fun!

Back