• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking on Making my own front bumper. Any advice/dimensions out there?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
i searched but can only find the finished product.... does anyone have dimensions or pictures on properly attaching a custom front bumper? im still in the air if im gonna add a winch or not.... but i do plan on attaching D shackles to get pulled if needed so it needs to be strong. any pics or dimenisons or even a writeup on how to would be great! thanks a lot guys, appreciate all the help lately, my XJ's on its way to being pretty nice... got the roof rack made and done, 3" procomp lift is almost locked away, 31" tires are bought and waiting.... gonna be great!

JOe

I used 4"x6" .250 square tube, cut it into a c-section, and stuck it on there. I cut the ends outside the frame rails so they angle up toward the headlights and they angle back towards the headlights to give the maximum approach angle possible. Use 3/4" steel for the tabs to put a d-ring in. Cut them to actually go through the front of the bumper, then weld them in behind the bumper and on the front.

ChuckD said:
Pm me, I have some CAD Drawings for the mounts.

BTW these measurements have been VERIFIED!! :D

Excellent memory?Btw,do you have the drawing in PDF(I think thats how you posted it before)?

thumbnail.jpg

Webpage for my bumper project. http://hometown.aol.com/xjtim/index1.html

Check out the mounting points of the rocklizard bumper, they are much better than the stock tow hook/bumper mounts.

http://jeepin.com/features/rocklizard_bumper/index.asp

Thanks everyone for the pictures and ideas.... starting to get a good idea of what kind of job im about to tackle.... but looks like the payoff is gonna be very worth it..

any more out there would be great! keep them coming

JOe

and just who says??? I didnt realize that there was a book of rules for custom fabricators. Sorry to be like that man ,but back off...To each thier own. Acually, I am planing on welding the bracket to my tow hook bracket that extends down my frame (framewall). But right now it is solid as a mofo. Ive hit a creek bed side, and a tree with it and it does just fine. You can come to my house and work with me in my garage, and then you can decide if it is a bad design. I mean, I didnt even put much detail about where it goes or anything! You dont know how my set up works, and you judge it like you know everything. Who are you? by posting pics of my bumper I was just trying to motivate people to try being creative. U can do it any way you want. My way works for me. I believe that it works very well; in fact, my parter in this build has his masters degree. I believe he knows what he is talking about.
sorry people...gotta defend. I love welder!!!!
Brian

Back