• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best lift size?

vfly172

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the jeeps, and ready to lift my DD to make it alot more wheelin friendly. I want to be able to fit 33s and not have to trim at all. What size lift is good on a 93 that is also good on the road and highway? I don't want anything too high to make it tippy, but I also don't want to rub when I flex. It wont be alot of flexing, but there are some challenging places near me.

33's won't fit without trimming no matter how much lift you run, unless you stick to the pavement and never go offroad. The wheel well openings are too small for anything bigger than a 31" tire, so some amount of trimming is required for anything larger, if you want to have any kind of usable suspension travel offroad.

Uh, you do realize that BW flares require a fair amount of trimming just to be installed, right? Check out http://jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/ for more on the flares and their installation.

That said, if you're doing the BW flares, you'll have ample clearance for 33's, just be sure to get some 15x8" rims with 4" or less backspacing.

For the lift, I'd recommend the Rubicon Express RE6200 5.5" Extreme Duty lift, but you could probably get away less lift if you wanted. The biggest things I like about the RE6200 kit are the drop bracket kit for the control arms and the HD trackbar setup. You'll probably have to do an SYE kit and double-cardan (aka: "CV") rear driveshaft for that much lift though, so keep that in mind when you're budgeting.

Will that be too high to keep it a DD? I am thinking maybe 32s would be better....but is it also true that u can add on to the RE lifts to make them bigger? I could go with the 4.5" for now maybe.

I'm running the RE 5.5" lift with 35's and my XJ is my DD. I put about 45-50 miles a day in mixed rush hour highway driving. Works great.

You can add onto most any lift to gain more height in the future if you want, it just depends on what all extra you have to do to run that extra height. If you go with 4.5" now, and later go up another 1-2", you'll end up spending more to do it "right" than you would have if you'd just started out with the 5.5" kit in the first place.

32's and Bushwackers is going to look a bit goofy because of how big the flares are.

Jeepin Jason said:
32's and Bushwackers is going to look a bit goofy because of how big the flares are.
+1, i had 31s on with bushwackers and they looked fairly tiny, couldnt wait to get 33s.

creepnjeeper said:
Might want to think ahead about new gear ratios

And axles, particularly if you've got the D35 and plan on going over 31".

creepnjeeper said:
Might want to think ahead about new gear ratios
With 33's I would definately regear. I run the 5.5 inch RE kit, with 35's as my DD. Running 4.56's but wish I had 4.88's. With 33's the 4.56 combo will be good.

I'd stick with a 3" Rough Country lift for $225 complete with 3" coils, shocks, and aals. Cannot beat that price, you can upgrade it a bit for another $100 or so and get full leafs packs instead of the aal or blocks. Get some nice 31" mtrs or bfg at's for the street. 31's and a 3" lift is a nice upgrade off road and very streetable. Over a 31x10.50x15, you will want to regear lift more etc etc. With the 3" you don't need any control arm or track bar modifications, or a SYE. You can also bump up your 3" in the future with a budget boost and be around 4.5-5" and then can easily run 33's if your budget allows and you can sacrifice some on road performance.

Troy

I"ve found that for what I do, 3 inches, and 31 MTR/s make it almost unstoppable. Granted wheeling around here isn't nasty rockcrawling, more woods/enduro type of trails. I'd like a locker/s, but I have not gotten stuck yet. Make sure you use all flex you can, and drive right, and you'll be suprised at what the XJ can do.

Rough Country is exactly right. ROUGH.
Stiff ride. The 4.5" rear springs in the kit I got were too short. They don't droop much at all. Slightly longer shackles and removing the load leaf did help. My ride sucked until I went 6" and added a Tera Long Arm upgrade kit. Now it rides pretty decent. I drive it 40 min each way to work daily. Tough Country shocks helped out a lot. Skyjackers suck.

jeepclean1.jpg

jeepclean2.jpg

jeepclean3.jpg

The DPG 5" Hybrid Rubicon Express Lift is great for keeping a low center of gravity and running a good sized tire. I trimmed nothing in back, and just the standard XJ trim in front and fit 32" tires perfectly at full flex. Slightly more trimming in front and I could run 33's. The guys at DPG did more fender trimming (tastefully) and fit up to a 37 inch tire with the same lift and a few inches of bump stops.

4.5 inch lift with 32's is a good starting point... RE, RUSTY'S, SKYJACKER, or whatever you choose... easier to add on to for more lift in the future.. reguardless of lift stay away from ADD A LEAF'S.... and as far as trimming your fenders... if u only want minimal trimming... try spreading your stock flares and drilling new holes for them, if you dont want a "GIANT" hole for the BW flares.. entirely up to you but that is just my drop in the bucket..

32's and 4.5" is a good starting point. You can just remove the flares and bend in the edge of the fenders on the bottom. Then just pull the flares tight up against the fender/body on the bottom and reattach them (you have to cut the front and remove the air dam). It worked great for me. In fact, they are still like that with my 33's and 6". (The tires now rub a little in the front at full flex)

Back