• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for pictures for ideas.....

superclyde

NAXJA Forum User
I recently totalled my 95 wrangler and decided to take my wifes 99 xj as it's replacement ( of course she got the new vehicle ). I was wonder along what lines i should start to un-pussify it. It's a 99 xj 4.0 75K 4dr AT in great shape. Here's my problem, i thought i had convinced myself that I wanted a 4.5 lift with 31's under it. However after checking out this site, I see alot of 3" lifts w/ 31's OR 4.5 lift w/ 33's. HELP! looking for pictures and advice on the set-ups mentioned above. As with most people money is an issue along with practicality, this is my everday ride, however I'm still a good ol' country boy. Dont see much rock my way mostly mud:) Of course a rear locker, skid plates, winch etc. will certainly make the list, it's the lift and tires that i need advice on.:confused:

I'd go with a quality 4.5" myself. That way you can run 31, 32, or 33 depending on rim choice and fender mods as you see fit. When I bought my current XJ, the RE 4.5 had just been released and was the biggest on the market at the time. I threw on 31's and I thoroughly enjoyed the look and performance of it. JMHO, of course.

Oh yeah, this should be over in the mod tech forum. It will probably get moved pretty soon.

Sean

With 4.5" and 33s you'll be doing alot of trimming. Most likely losing the flares all together.

Here's mine at 5.5" (more like 6.5" actual though). Drives GREAT and is my DD too. Not as budget minded as the 4.5 and 3.5" lifts.

tn_flex2.jpg

tn_hollister1.jpg

tn_hollister3.jpg

A lot of people (me included) have either a long arm conversion or drop brackets if it is their daily driver. That is really only necessary if you have a 6"+ lift and are quite a bit more expensive. Most people who have 33's have a 6" lift with minor trimming. Taller lifts (4.5 or more) will usually require a SYE and new driveshaft so that adds to the cost. I don't know how budget minded you are but it is good to keep that all in consideration.

If you are mostly doing mud then you can probably be succesful with a 5" lift, 33's, minor trimming and bumpstops.
Now to be a vulture:
What are you doing with your YJ? Are you interested in selling your front axle shafts?

Here's two examples of maybe thinkin about something different as far as Tire size. In setad of the standard 31x10.5, 32x11.5, 33x12.5 etc....

RJRJ.JPG

On the left is RJ Lynn's 1999 with an RE 4.5 (netted him over 5.5). He's running 235/85/16's (ends up being a 32x9 or thereabouts...)

My 1999 XJ is on the right with about 6"...up front are RE 3.5" coils and a 1.75" spacer (among the Usual Suspect RE/JKS parts LOL) Outback I'm running a modded Old man Emu JC1A/JXL and tera Shackles. I'm running 32x9.5 TSL's.

Both rigs we're brough up to these heights in the last week or so...trimming will be mandatory on my ARB and my flares are getting moved up.

Before I was running around 4" of lift and 31x10.5 TrXus.
costello.jpg

Keep looking around and keep askin!!

RJ Clayton

Back