• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Switch Installation

the4x4xgirl

NAXJA Forum User
Hi y'all,
I was wondering if anyone knows if I can remove my old headlight switch and install a new one without having to tear my dashboard apart ...

Yes. The dash does not have to come apart. It has been several years since I did mine. I don't recall it being very involved. I did mine in the dark while it was snowing. IIRC, you just have to unplug the connector from inside the dash and press the button to remove the pull handle.

Detail: unplug the connector, pull out the switch knob, and reach underneath the dash. On the bottom of the switch body, there is a little button, accessed through a hole in the dash structure. Push that button and the knob and shaft should pull all the way out. Now through the hole left by the knob, you'll see the slotted retaining nut that holds the whole switch in. Unscrew that, and the switch comes out. After you reinstall the switch, just push the shaft back in, and it will snap into place.

my headlight switch went out on my '94 XJ recently and i was wondering if you guys can tell me if this is a common problem (after a certain number of years)

I'm on my 2nd one that just recently went out.........also can anyone tell me where to find a "cheap" replacement online somewhere? Thanks in advance!

Back