• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

down pipe

littlexj1

NAXJA Forum User
where do i get a down pipe..(pipe after the manifold) i know i can get one at the junk yard but i am looking for a new one.....i also know the stealership has it.....thanks guys

Thanks - much more successful, although a search of the site did not produce results for a downpipe other than the one that comes with a header. May have resort to a phone call.

Last edited:
bzdel2441 said:
Thanks for taking the effort to post this. However, unknown to you (my bad) I have a 97. I have found the q-tech page for this year
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...xhaust_system_97_98.html&UID=2005031411030737
However, it does not show the "front pipe" (item B) for this year. Is there something special about the 97? This part is also missing from the Advanced Auto computer, but that is not much of a suprise.

highhilleer said:
Thanks for taking the effort to post this. However, unknown to you (my bad) I have a 97. I have found the q-tech page for this year
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...xhaust_system_97_98.html&UID=2005031411030737
However, it does not show the "front pipe" (item B) for this year. Is there something special about the 97? This part is also missing from the Advanced Auto computer, but that is not much of a suprise.

That's because Crown AUtomotive isn't making them as of yet. I have a 95 and am in the same boat. You either have to get aftermarket (like Borla, with the header) or have an exhaust shop make one.

littlexj1 said:
where do i get a down pipe..(pipe after the manifold) i know i can get one at the junk yard but i am looking for a new one.....i also know the stealership has it.....thanks guys

For what it's worth, I got a '98XJ that I "thought" the header pipe had been mashed in on it somehow(at high bend). I ordered a new OEM from the dealership (BIG$$'s). Refused to accept it as it was mashed just like the one on it. No one I have been able to locate so far has stainless-steel pipes of consistent diameter available for it... GO FISH???

idahjo said:
For what it's worth, I got a '98XJ that I "thought" the header pipe had been mashed in on it somehow(at high bend). I ordered a new OEM from the dealership (BIG$$'s). Refused to accept it as it was mashed just like the one on it. No one I have been able to locate so far has stainless-steel pipes of consistent diameter available for it... GO FISH???

that "mashed in" section is for front axle clearance... front pinion yokes are known to "self clearance" themselves when you are running a real flex front end and stuff the wheels up into the well far enough... mine did it for the first trip out and seemed to go away after it made room for itself...

Its a piece of cake for an exhaust shop to fabricate exactly what you want and probably just as cheap as paying shipping on one. Just for reference, I had a local shop fabricate an entire system from the manifold back, including new cat and muffler and install it for $300 + tax.

sidriptide said:
that "mashed in" section is for front axle clearance... front pinion yokes are known to "self clearance" themselves when you are running a real flex front end and stuff the wheels up into the well far enough... mine did it for the first trip out and seemed to go away after it made room for itself...

My dad, an old retired certified mechanic, took a look at it and deduced the same thing... However, advise IF the "squashed clearance" will come into play on a XJ that is being left box-stock and not subjected to more than rough roads?

thanks

Ray H said:
Its a piece of cake for an exhaust shop to fabricate exactly what you want and probably just as cheap as paying shipping on one. Just for reference, I had a local shop fabricate an entire system from the manifold back, including new cat and muffler and install it for $300 + tax.

RAYH; was it done in stainless-steel?

Back