• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex Plate Replacement Procedure?

dwebb944t

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched... and have not been able to find a flex plate replacement procedure. Does anyone have a link? I have found numerous rod bearing faq's... I have a knock so loud that I am sure it is one or the other and need to get it fixed this weekend... TIA

Dan

Can anyone tell me if the transmission has to come completely out or can it just be disconnected and pushed pack somehow to replace the flex plate?

Thanks,

Dan

I just did this on my 90, and the trans has to come out to make it easier...also be careful with the cps when removing the trans. Its pretty straight forward except for the star head bolts on the top of the bellhousing... Have fun.

Yeah the CPS or "Crank Position Sensor" is located on the left upper side of the bellhousing and held in with two 7/16 or 11mm head screws. The connector plugs into the injection harness torwards the back or the engine by the firewall. sorry for not being clear the first post.... have fun.

Whoa there. This is the first car you've worked on?

Do you *know* you need to replace the flexplate, or do you have a knocking noise that you *suspect* is the flexplate? Big difference. If the torque converter bolts are loose (common, there's 4 of them in there), you only need to remove the converter inspection cover to get to those. That's a whole lot less work, and easy to do.

If you know for a fact that the flexplate is cracked, that's a different story. Either the motor or the trans will have to move, trans will be less work, but it's certainly not insignificant.

Just thought I'd offer that up before you get too far...

steveC...

Sorry, my wording was wrong, I meant I have never worked on an auto trans. vehicle. I have built nemerous Porsche racing cars and fixed and repaired them for years :). I know my problem is either loose flex plate bolts, bad flex plate or rod bearings so I was trying to get prepared to do one of the three jobs this weekend. Hopefully it is loose bolts or rod bearings, I am not looking forward to dropping the trans! Plus with 200k and a leaking rear main, I want to do the bearings and main seal anyway... Just limitied on time...

Thanks for your help...

Dan

If its the flex plate for sure then removing the tranny will make the job go easier, and be careful of the CPS. Good time to check mount while you have it out.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Hope no offense taken, good luck with it.

I see you're in Mesa, AZ, I'm in Gilbert. We zonies gotta get these Jeeps working right before the 114 degree weather sets in, ya know...

dwebb944t said:
Can anyone tell me if the transmission has to come completely out or can it just be disconnected and pushed pack somehow to replace the flex plate?

Thanks,

Dan
I used one of those Harbor Freight $49 tranny jacka and just pushed the tranny back a bit.

Well, I am removing the oil pan and doing the bearings. After listening with a stethoscope I am 90% sure it is a rod bearing knocking. I will let you guys know....

Thanks for your help...

Dan

steveC---

I agree about the heat.. My friend Ben and I wheel a LOT, so we need to all get together, we are always looking for other wheelers!

Just like I thought, #5 is toast, haven't removed the others yet... I am going to post how I diagnosed the problem in the morning...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Dan

Back