• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker Choices

depends on your budget. ;)

Money allowing, I'd go with ARB's front and rear. IMHO selectable is the only way to go for a DD.

If you'd let us in on where you live, that would help. If you're in a part of the country where it gets white and fluffy for part of the year, you should take that into consideration in choosing lockers for a rig that sees both trails and DD use. You can't beat selectable lockers at both ends - but then I'm a little biased because that's what works for me in my D30 and D44. I also ran for about three years with an open front and a No-Slip in an 8.25 when my rig was still a daily driver. That worked very well, but demanded close attention when the road got slick. There are those on here who will swear to you that running a solid rear is best in the slick stuff, as well as those who will tell you that a full locker up front is no big deal in the winter. Keep in mind that most of us here are a fairly hardcore bunch and that YMMV. The best idea is to ask friends to let you take a spin in their rigs and compare different setups for yourself. That's really the only way you'll know for sure what will be best for you.

I keep seeing the term, but sorry for the stupid question...

What is a "Lunchbox" Locker.

I am debating going with a Aussie Locker when they make one for the 8.25. If not, I will upgrade to a D44 and go ARB.

an aussie in a lunchbox locker
a lunchbox locker is a locker that fits inside of your stock carrier....
a carrier type locker (detroit, OX, ARB, electrac.... ) completely replace the carrier.. the carrier type lockers are alot stronger and will work longer (not wear out as fast) and are ALOT stronger.

hope it helps some

in my dd i run a lock right up front and a no slip out back. hardly noticeable on the road unless i try to make it noticed :)

I have a Detroit locker in my D44 rear and a Lockright in my D30 front. I've driven on dry and wet pavement (not in 4wd), icy roads, packed and slushy snow, and off highway (usually in 4Hi or 4Lo). The only time I have really had a problem is way off-highway in an off-camber muddy sharp turn going up a hill - with only enough room between the trees midway up the hill for a few inches on each side of the XJ. With front and rear locked, my Cherokee kept sliding sideways.

I have had no problems in any other situation (knock on wood). It does take a little more concentration on the driving, but it is very manageable. With that said, I don't think I would ever loan the vehicle to someone else to drive - it is just that much more difficult to drive that I don't think it would be a good idea to let a novice drive it.

I've never driven a selectable locker, but it would seem to be a better solution for a daily driver - but I've had no problems with mine as a daily driver.

Dale

extankerguy said:
Is it worth putting that much money in a D30?

It depends on your non-daily drive idea of fun (more abuse discounts the worth of a built D30).

You might be best served to attend a NAXJA chapter event and see and drive a few XJ's with the different options. This way you get a first hand opinion for the style of trails (and daily drive roads) with the locker options you could expect to run.

On my DD, I like my powertrax no-slip in the rear with an open front....the rear took a little bit to get used to in the wet stuff, but overall i'm very happy.

Back