• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Won't Shift into 4 lo or Netural

Kal

NAXJA Forum User
Had this problem since I bought it. THe transfer case works fine in fulltime and parttime 4hi but it will not go past full time 4hi into neutral or 4 lo. Is this a linkage problem? If so how do I adjust it?

Kal said:
Had this problem since I bought it. THe transfer case works fine in fulltime and parttime 4hi but it will not go past full time 4hi into neutral or 4 lo. Is this a linkage problem? If so how do I adjust it?

Not sure about the 242, but in 231 you have to push the lever sideways to go to 4L (and I think same goes for N). In regards to the linkage being out of adjustment you'd have to be under the vehicle as someone is switching through the positions and see if there is slop on the bushings or if it's out of adjustment. You'll see slop in the bushigns when you see it being shifted. To test it if it's out of adjustment, get it as close as you can to 4L with the lever and then try to shift it the rest of the way by hand underneath and see if it goes in. If so, you need to adjust it (if you run a search, someone posted not too long ago some really nice step by step instructions how to do it).

Back