• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockkrawler steering

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running this. If so could you let us know how its going. My steering is toast and Im having a hell of a time trying to decide which way to go.......... Thankx

XJ_ranger said:
no one has ever run aftermarket steering... that is crazy talk

click here for all your answers

or

click here for my solution to my steering problem

First dont be a smartass. Second did I even even mention that aftermarket steering is a new concept. Third I did search and that is why I started this thread. Fourth I have about 3 more inches of lift than you do and the currie setup doesnt work for everyone. Thankx anyway.

wannabe said:
Fourth I have about 3 more inches of lift than you do and the currie setup doesnt work for everyone. Thankx anyway.

Actually the Currie unit and the Rock Krawler setup are the same damn design. Not trying to call you out or anything, but you could just say I want a cheap ass steering setup to replace my stock junk. Just make it easy on yourself and everyone here and buy this now - www.rustysoffroad.com

Then you can come back in a few months asking the same questions cause your new steering fell apart. You are not searching well enough, because I just did a Loooong thread on this.............:dunce:

Thankx but they are not the same design, look again. Still dont see any thread where people actually say much of anything about RUNNING the setup. 600 or more for steering is insane if you ask me.........

Check out the ORO U-turn. I have been product testing it for them for almost a year now. Its is bulletproof, and the feel is 10x better!

wannabe said:
Thankx but they are not the same design, look again. Still dont see any thread where people actually say much of anything about RUNNING the setup. 600 or more for steering is insane if you ask me.........

that's probably because not many folks are running the RK steering kit, which to me kinda says something about it...

The steering kit I'm running (ORO U-Turn) sells for $649, which is less than one set of my tires, and the steering should last a lot longer than one set of tires. $649 is also cheaper than one ARB air locker, or having both axles regeared. It's less than half the cost of my lift kit, and less than 2x the cost of the shocks I'm going to run. Shoot, a lot of folks sink over $649 into their stereos. Put into perspective, $649 for a quality steering system that's going to improve every minute of my driving, isn't such a bad deal in my book.

Thankx. The RK kit is relativly new so I wasnt sure on what people think about it and the price is right if it works decently. Im just having a hard time justifying spending 650-1000 on my D30. That would go pretty far into a D44.

All right, all you people that bash Rock Krawler, get over it. Do some research and you will see that the company has made 180* turn to the better. I run thier 6.5" long-arm GEN II 3-link in front and I love it. I do not have their steering though because I'm going to get a D44 and do a hi-steer, but I do wheel with a guy running thier 8" w/rear coil-overs (he's the white XJ w/o doors in thier ad) and I've seen him break everything on that D30 EXCEPT the RK steering.

So call RK, spend your $300, and never look back. The Currie is great for up to 5" but past that its out of its effective range.

Jeepin Jason said:
that's probably because not many folks are running the RK steering kit, which to me kinda says something about it...

The steering kit I'm running (ORO U-Turn) sells for $649, which is less than one set of my tires, and the steering should last a lot longer than one set of tires. $649 is also cheaper than one ARB air locker, or having both axles regeared. It's less than half the cost of my lift kit, and less than 2x the cost of the shocks I'm going to run. Shoot, a lot of folks sink over $649 into their stereos. Put into perspective, $649 for a quality steering system that's going to improve every minute of my driving, isn't such a bad deal in my book.

Jason, how does that u-turn stuff feel on the road? looking at the pics it looks like you'd get some wicked bump steer, or did you raise the track bar as well?

wannabe said:
Thankx. The RK kit is relativly new so I wasnt sure on what people think about it and the price is right if it works decently. Im just having a hard time justifying spending 650-1000 on my D30. That would go pretty far into a D44.

Only if you can build yourself a D44 on your own... It also depends on what you're looking at... lockers, gears, alloy shafts... those are all about the same cost D44 vs D30. Hi-steer/crossover linkages are about the same cost because it's all the same parts. "Nice" D44 hi-steer arms are going to run you $100+ per arm (going off PoisonSpyder's prices), plus you've got to have flat-top knuckles that are setup to accept steering arms. Tera's D30 hi-steer knuckle is about $299, and you can get WJ knuckles from a junkyard.

Regarding the RK kit... there's two things going against them on that... first, is RK's generally horrible reputation in the past. Everything I've heard says the new management has turned things around (see above post), but they've still got a pretty big stigma to get over still I think. And secondly, I don't figure many folks even know RK offers a steering kit. Their website isn't very clear about exactly what the kit is either. Is it inverted-T or inverted-Y? From the pics, I'm ass-u-me'ing it's an inverted-T system. Personally, I'd rather spend 2x as much and do a crossover system, which is exactly what I did. ;)

wannabe said:

Why? The ORO setup will work with a 44 when your ready to upgrade. I have been running it on my rubi long before they were available to the public. If and when you swapped your 30 for a 44, all you would need is new tapered sleeves because i doubt you'd get the ones out of your d-30 knuckles. Howvere if you got a rubi housing you could just swap your d30 knuckles to the 44 housing and your set....works with both.

Steers like a dream!

Jeepin Jason said:
Only if you can build yourself a D44 on your own... It also depends on what you're looking at... lockers, gears, alloy shafts... those are all about the same cost D44 vs D30. Hi-steer/crossover linkages are about the same cost because it's all the same parts. "Nice" D44 hi-steer arms are going to run you $100+ per arm (going off PoisonSpyder's prices), plus you've got to have flat-top knuckles that are setup to accept steering arms. Tera's D30 hi-steer knuckle is about $299, and you can get WJ knuckles from a junkyard.

Regarding the RK kit... there's two things going against them on that... first, is RK's generally horrible reputation in the past. Everything I've heard says the new management has turned things around (see above post), but they've still got a pretty big stigma to get over still I think. And secondly, I don't figure many folks even know RK offers a steering kit. Their website isn't very clear about exactly what the kit is either. Is it inverted-T or inverted-Y? From the pics, I'm ass-u-me'ing it's an inverted-T system. Personally, I'd rather spend 2x as much and do a crossover system, which is exactly what I did. ;)

EXACTLY. There is alot of other options out there, and its all what you wqant to spend. You can go with TBT or Tera's kit and have a good $1000 into it. Howvere thats for the complete kit, draglink, knuckles, tie rod, ends, and TBT even includes a new trac bar, and you cut off OEM axle side mount.

MAny many choices. I was a tad apprehensive about a bolt on x-over kit, but it has proven to be very stout. I have only bent one tie rod, and that was the pre production smaller version.....not to mention i was driving like a fool at the time trying to drive over rocks taller than my rig.

Lets put it this way, RK woudl be my LAST choice. Check out ROF, do a search, there is a few guys running it over there. It looks ok. But the tolerances are very small. It look sliek it will hit on pass side s/b link mount when full flexed/locked. hth.

cherokeekid said:
Jason, how does that u-turn stuff feel on the road? looking at the pics it looks like you'd get some wicked bump steer, or did you raise the track bar as well?

It's handles awesome. So well in fact that I don't run a stabilizer. Doesn't wander, tracks straight, steers easy, no more dead spot with the steering wheel straight up. It's tight and responsive.

The geometry was designed around a TJ running a trackbar drop mount (ie: RE) and a stock pitman arm, so I do have a tiny bit of bumpsteer, but I honestly don't even notice it anymore. At most all I ever noticed was some slight feed back in the steering wheel going over large dips/whoops in the road.

Eventually I'm planning to do the JKS trackbar OAB with a drop pitman arm, but that's only to help reduce all the angles.

SkyHighTJ said:
Why? The ORO setup will work with a 44 when your ready to upgrade. I have been running it on my rubi long before they were available to the public. If and when you swapped your 30 for a 44, all you would need is new tapered sleeves because i doubt you'd get the ones out of your d-30 knuckles. Howvere if you got a rubi housing you could just swap your d30 knuckles to the 44 housing and your set....works with both.

Steers like a dream!

Uh, that's only true on the Rubicon D44 fronts and many of the D44 front's that Currie builds... "Real" D44 fronts do not use D30 knuckles, so the ORO U-Turn kit would not even come close to working.

Back