• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS switch project

casm

NAXJA Forum User
After finally getting tired today of the ABS kicking in on the trail on two separate XJs, I've decided to install a switch to save removing the fuse every time I want to turn it off on my 2000 Limited. Two questions at this point:

- Should I use a relay on the supply side to the fuse, or is just a two-position switch sufficient?

- Does anyone know of something similar to this but labelled for ABS? I'd like to have the idiot light on the switch as well as the dash (and this is ideally the switch I'd use anyway, just relabelling it if necessary).

Also, is there any downside to disconnecting or reconnecting supply to or from the ABS circuit with the vehicle running? I've always yanked the fuse with the ignition off so far, but would like to have this be an on-the-fly change if at all possible.

Digging this up since I'm finally in a position to start doing something about it...

I've got a sample switch coming in the next few days. Photos will go up once it arrives, but is there any tentative interest in doing a small run of these? I don't know how many of us have ABS-equipped XJs, but popping the hood and pulling the ABS motor fuse to disable it is getting kinda old for me. It'd be nice to just be able to flip a switch and be done with it.

casm said:
Digging this up since I'm finally in a position to start doing something about it...

I've got a sample switch coming in the next few days. Photos will go up once it arrives, but is there any tentative interest in doing a small run of these? I don't know how many of us have ABS-equipped XJs, but popping the hood and pulling the ABS motor fuse to disable it is getting kinda old for me. It'd be nice to just be able to flip a switch and be done with it.

will be ripping my complete system out soon - but if i dont - id like to have a switch....

XJ_ranger said:
will be ripping my complete system out soon - but if i dont - id like to have a switch....

Cool. I'll also be looking for someone with a pre-'97 XJ to test this with as I don't have access to anything other than my own 2000. The company's quoted me 7-10 business days to get the samples here, so it'll likely be a couple of weeks before this is ready to go forward.

I know a few people with grands have done this sort of think, check the jeep unlimited forums, I found some info on it back then...and keep us updated...I will want to do this eventually...

one issue may be insurance...if you happen to get in an accident...they may be able to claim that since you modified the ABS system, it could have malfunctioned and caused the accident and they could deny you coverage...something to think about.

edit: Found some links
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=574431&highlight=abs
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=527059

Last edited:
On a vereant somthing you might give a whirl is wiring a relay in parallel with the part time light wire on the TC. That way when in four wheel drive and your switch is on the ABS is disabled. Would give you an extra measure of safety on not forgetting to switch it back on after trail run. The only thing to remember is in the winter snow is to make shure the switch is in the corect position to alow ABS operation. As far as the insurance thing. I feel its covered under the need to know rule. They don't need to know, and chances are would never figure out it had been done.

Okay, switches have arrived. I'm trying to physically locate the relay per this thread; if anyone can give pointers as to its location it would be much appreciated.

Regarding the insurance company take on ABS cutoffs: good points. I'm not entirely convinced that they'd be able to make it stick; people drive vehicles all the time with non-functional ABS and since there's no legal requirement to have it working if installed it may not be an issue. But yeah, we're dealing with insurance companies here, so there's basically no telling what they'd do.

One thought I had on this was to use a momentary switch (similar to the fog light switch) that would deactivate the ABS until the ignition's switched off - the next time you switch it on, the ABS is re-armed and ready to go until you switch it off or kill the power.

Back